• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

screw dodge fu-- dodge my dodge GGGRRRRR

I had the same issues with the EGR garbage on my 6.0 and every single problem it went to the dealership for was related to it. I deleted it and haven't looked back never had another single issue and it tows much much cooler without that EGR flashboiling my coolant on grades.

I had the same issues with the EGR garbage on my 6.0 and every single problem it went to the dealership for was related to it. I deleted it and haven't looked back never had another single issue and it tows much much cooler without that EGR flashboiling my coolant on grades.

You must be talking about a PSD 6.0 and not a gasser GM 6.0? I say this because the EGR's on a diesel can do some bad things if not tuned properly. If this is/was a gasser 6.0 you had some other problems.

I have had problems on my dirty max blowing open the EGR on climbs after I started to tune it. I am talking long high temp(1300 degrees) and high boost(25-30psi) climbs. I plugged it on my dirty and have had no more issues.

FYI though, a proper system runs cooler with the EGR working. The same system will shut down the EGR on a grade as well.

FYI though, a proper system runs cooler with the EGR working. The same system will shut down the EGR on a grade as well.

where did you get this info?

I'm sure he was talking about the 6.0 Ford. Since they are well known to have EGR issues. Doesn't matter what tuning you throw on there. The EGR will be a problem. Elite tune, EGR and head studs on a 6.0 is a very good idea.

Yep 6.0psd. You'd think they all would have learned from what Ford went through and someone would've designed an EGR system for these new diesels that wasn't a complete piece of ****.

I see your point guys. I had heard the tranny was tough, but just never know. I have to look into the money generator to see if I will have the cash soon enough. Im running on maypops right now.

so the awesome paymentmobile(1st and last truck Ive bought on payments) spends yet another stint at the dealership. 08 6.7 cummins with the most rediculous emissions system know to the world. It is getting its 3rd particulate filter. Has had 2 turbo housings, 2 intercoolers, all the o-2 sensors replaced 4 times, and spent 27days at the dealership in just a span of 60k miles. I cant wait for the last 20k miles to go by before the warranty expires so I can throw the downpipe, egr blockoff and tuner on it. sorry for the rant, so how many others on here have had issues with this? I wanted to sell this thing 6mos. ago but cant because of the resale value. GGGRRRRRRR. I shouldve kept my damn suburban.

well i am not keen on the new rigs myself, but i will say my wifes 05 suburban is a piece of **** also! at 75k it had had a new tranny,water pump went out,new battery,whole new pass seat, power window, 3 third brake lights, they are more expensive then most think, muffler,and a few other things.
it should be reliable enough to drive till at least your done paying payment!
that was the first chevy and last i will buy, and the last new car my wife ever gets!

where did you get this info?

Look up how an EGR system works, why it works, and the end result of why it is there :awesomework:

This is a layman's example: A properly working EGR only works under part throttle cruising and allows exhaust to enter intake to take place of O2 entering engine effectively making a 8cyl run like a 6cyl. This whole cycle, because of the reduced amount of O2 burn actually ends up lowering a engines combustion temperature to, the end result, lower greenhouse emissions. The lower combustion temperature then has an end result of a cooler running vehicle. A very simple system or shall we say a predecessor to the new vehicles that shut down cylinders while driving.

The problem with diesels is the newer units try to cool the incoming charge of exhaust gases by running the exhaust through a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger utilizes your engines coolant through this process. The problem with most of us is we put these fancy programmers that F@#$ with stock parameters to a point that the vehicle requires less throttle on a climb. The stock computer thinking the engine is at a low load keeps the EGR valve open to circulate the exhaust gases. The end effect of less throttle is the EGR is open while climbing a hill causing some bad overheat issues for some.

There are a lot of vehicles on the road that has a "gremlin" in the system that causes drivability issues and the easy fix is to plug the system, have the system fall off, etc. These are not the correct fixes for the problem but they "get er done" so to speak.

On most all of the diesel trucks on the market I don't really see why they need an EGR system at all. With some very fancy tuning the newer diesels can burn quite clean but we as end consumers don't want to stop burning dead dino bones. I am included in the bunch that likes to burn the old bones. The other problem is the systems become so complex that the price is too much for consumers to buy.

My truck lost the EGR for the problem of loosing a small amount of boost on long climbs at a high boost level. This loss was a sudden and abrupt loss of boost. The loss only happened for a split second at a time but when you are towing 25K over snoqualmie doing 60MPH and your truck hiccups it is a little discerning. I never had a problem with heat from my EGR and have noticed no problems from the EGR while it worked or since it has been blocked.

Any of this make sense:redneck:?

Interestingly enough the hiccup is the something I lost with the delete as well just never knew where it was coming from and the dealer techs could never figure it out since it only seemed to happen towing our 15k 5th wheel. It only takes a drop of 1-2psi to cause the hiccup which I can hear through my air intake but I did notice it happens at an exact EGT so thanks for solving that mystery for me Tom.:awesomework:

Look up how an EGR system works, why it works, and the end result of why it is there :awesomework:

This is a layman's example: A properly working EGR only works under part throttle cruising and allows exhaust to enter intake to take place of O2 entering engine effectively making a 8cyl run like a 6cyl. This whole cycle, because of the reduced amount of O2 burn actually ends up lowering a engines combustion temperature to, the end result, lower greenhouse emissions. The lower combustion temperature then has an end result of a cooler running vehicle. A very simple system or shall we say a predecessor to the new vehicles that shut down cylinders while driving.

The problem with diesels is the newer units try to cool the incoming charge of exhaust gases by running the exhaust through a heat exchanger. The heat exchanger utilizes your engines coolant through this process. The problem with most of us is we put these fancy programmers that F@#$ with stock parameters to a point that the vehicle requires less throttle on a climb. The stock computer thinking the engine is at a low load keeps the EGR valve open to circulate the exhaust gases. The end effect of less throttle is the EGR is open while climbing a hill causing some bad overheat issues for some.

There are a lot of vehicles on the road that has a "gremlin" in the system that causes drivability issues and the easy fix is to plug the system, have the system fall off, etc. These are not the correct fixes for the problem but they "get er done" so to speak.

On most all of the diesel trucks on the market I don't really see why they need an EGR system at all. With some very fancy tuning the newer diesels can burn quite clean but we as end consumers don't want to stop burning dead dino bones. I am included in the bunch that likes to burn the old bones. The other problem is the systems become so complex that the price is too much for consumers to buy.

My truck lost the EGR for the problem of loosing a small amount of boost on long climbs at a high boost level. This loss was a sudden and abrupt loss of boost. The loss only happened for a split second at a time but when you are towing 25K over snoqualmie doing 60MPH and your truck hiccups it is a little discerning. I never had a problem with heat from my EGR and have noticed no problems from the EGR while it worked or since it has been blocked.

Any of this make sense:redneck:?

I understand the concept... But have you ever seen the benefit? What an engineer figures on paper, one of which passes executive approval. Doesn't always equal out to reality.. It's like my Dad's 05 Dodge, that came with a cat. somehow manages to pass emission with an increased amount of power, no cat, lower temperatures, and better mileage.. Yet the cat is an incredible engineering feet like the EGR system? Trust me, the EGR system was/is a band aid. It will not be a part of diesels for long.

I understand the concept... But have you ever seen the benefit? What an engineer figures on paper, one of which passes executive approval. Doesn't always equal out to reality.. It's like my Dad's 05 Dodge, that came with a cat. somehow manages to pass emission with an increased amount of power, no cat, lower temperatures, and better mileage.. Yet the cat is an incredible engineering feet like the EGR system? Trust me, the EGR system was/is a band aid. It will not be a part of diesels for long.

The EGR system works and does work well. The problem is the system works best on gas engines. I don't see the benefit of EGR on a diesel. I am no engineer but know how and why the system works.

Variable valve timing:awesomework: I think will do wonders for the future. But what do I know?

egr systems will not go away as long as the diesel manufacturers dont have variable valve timing. The main problem with the new cummins exhaust system is the way people drive it... its plain and simple, the system works fine if you drive it properly, do i think its a good idea to have the system? Hell no, you get worse fuel mileage which creates more emissions in the long run if you ask me. I think it was better with just a catalyst

Ya but what does it get towing 15000lbs

Not everyone is towing 15,000lbs, in fact, it's pretty safe to say, most of us that own trucks aren't.

10,000lbs or less is new half ton country and most of our loaded trailers weigh a good bit less than that.

A diesel might beat a gasser towing that by 3-5mpg on a good day. Factor in fuel and additional cost of ownership of the diesel and the diesel will lose in the light towing department.

Heck, towing on level ground with my old 5.9L magnum and an 8,000lb trailer I regularly got 11mpg and crept up to 13-14 @ 70mph because I could safely drop in to OD. I can only imagine the newer gas engines will do better than that.

Last edited:
Not everyone is towing 15,000lbs, in fact, it's pretty safe to say, most of us that own trucks aren't.

10,000lbs or less is new half ton country and most of our loaded trailers weigh a good bit less than that.

A diesel might beat a gasser towing that by 3-5mpg on a good day. Factor in fuel and additional cost of ownership of the diesel and the diesel will lose in the light towing department.

Heck, towing on level ground with my old 5.9L magnum and an 8,000lb trailer I regularly got 11mpg and crept up to 13-14 @ 70mph because I could safely drop in to OD. I can only imagine the newer gas engines will do better than that.

bullshit, been there done that 99 ram 5.9 magnum 8mpg tops, 13-15 empty if i was lucky. now with 02 cummins 16-18mpg with large camper and trailer and i like to cruise at a very high rate of speed. sean just dump all that **** now, my friend had the same issues before he even had 10,000 miles and junked the **** parts and has beeb trouble free for 30000 and gets 20 mpg on 37's

Travis, how many tranny's have you put in those half tons?

And, it is very rare for anyone to do a tow where you are not climbing hills here in the PNW.

Now, I am not saying you can't tow with a half ton. If you do, you will just encounter some increased maintenance issues, including changing the tranny fluid/filter more often, changing brakes, cooling system upgrades etc. Your top speed and thusly, your fuel mileage will suffer when real world towing in the PNW.

For me, its worth it to buy a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel, and have enough power, enough cooling system, a beefy enough tranny, and big enough brakes that I don't have to worry about towing every trip.

And with that being said, I still drive my rig to and from the trails.:haha:

Last edited: