• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Seal or RTV?

wentz912

I've got a 81 Toyota pickup with an L52 in it currently, and I am replacing the transmission with another early style 5-speed. The thing I need to know is, do I HAVE to use another gasket type seal between the trans and t-case or can i just use RTV or some other type of liquid gasket? I've got a long drive this weekend so I need to get this swap done ASAP.

Also, any other seals or anything that I should take advantage of the situation to change while I have this new transmission out on the floor of the shop?

A good quallity RTV will work great. They have a thicker RTV its called (the right stuff) Works great. Its a toyota the trans will be coming back out in a week or two any way.:haha:

tcase gaskets are cheap....

tcase gaskets are a pita to scrape off later.

toyota doesnt even use them on new trucks.

I have two friends that have bought BRAND NEW tacomas a few times now and all of them came from the factory with orange silicone on the tranny and tcase and front axle assembly joints. I have been the ony one to do chassis on these trucks so I know it wasnt put there in a shop sometime.

Also I have bought oil pan and seal sets from the dealer before and it came with seals, a new windage pan/tray and a tube of gray silicone that was thicker like the "right stuff" that jaws mentioned. Good stuff.

Just use silicone.:awesomework:

A good quallity RTV will work great. They have a thicker RTV its called (the right stuff) Works great....QUOTE]

This stuff is awesome, it sets super fast like 5 minutes or so. Pretty much ready for fully use when you are done tightening all fasteners.

I figured that I would be ok. I still have a tube of "right Stuff" around the shop somewhere. Hopefully it's still good, that **** is spendy!

Anything else I should make sure I get my hands on while I've got this thing out?

The Right Stuff is the ****...the ONLY sealant I've used for years....and you don't have to 'partially' torque the bolt to wait for it to set up---just apply a small bead of it on the surface and bolt it together!!!:awesomework: