• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Senior Year YJ Build

Cascade_Crawler

Well finally I get to start a YJ build thread, thought it would never happen. :clappy: :clappy: :clappy:

This all started when I decided that my cherokee was not suited for the direction I was going with my wheeling. It would take too much time, effort and money to do it right. I decided to cut my losses and sell my rig while I still could and start investing in a better platform - a YJ. I pulled my axles from the cherokee and stuck in some stockers and sold the rig. A few hours later I had a new wrangler. :cheer:

My old Cherokee:
PICT0041r.jpg

My new Wrangler:
Copy-of-PICT0002.jpg

Plans:

• Spring over with waggie springs. I considered streching the wheelbase further by using cherokee leaves in the rear but that opens a whole 'nother can of worms. Possibly a future mod
  • Swap in my rear D44 with a detroit and 4.56 gears. I may do a disk brake conversion.
  • Swap in my HP D30 from with an Aussie and 4.56 gears
  • Tube Fenders
  • antiwrap bar for the rear
  • Some form of front tube bumper
  • Some form of sliders (Don't worry glen they won't stick out far at all :flipoff: )
  • Crashfab Cage

Rear D44:
PICT0003r.jpg

All the crap the came with the D30 when I pulled it from the cherokee. It needs to be cleaned up and stripped of the front control arm brackets. Also needs new ball joints and unit bearings.
PICT0002r.jpg

I picked up some decent 35" MT/Rs today from Skrause.
PICT0001r.jpg

Last edited:
Nice plan! Keep us updated :cool:

Have you thought about maybe buying an RE TJ log arm kit and atleast installing the front arms and springs? (To start any way) The front axle is already setup the RE kit would have every think except the front spring mounts?

boxboy said:
Nice plan! Keep us updated :cool:

Have you thought about maybe buying an RE TJ log arm kit and atleast installing the front arms and springs? (To start any way) The front axle is already setup the RE kit would have every think except the front spring mounts?

No I never thought about it. Its interesting but, I wasn't happy with the suspension balance on my XJ (leaf rear, 4 link front - same idea as what your saying...) but maybe it would be differnt on the YJ - different springs, etc. For now I'll stick with the cheap and easy leaf spring setup F/R.

Scott, my plans kinda reminds me of yours a few years ago :flipoff:

Jonathan, i can get you an excellent deal on the unit bearings. i'll send ya a quote in a PM, if someone else can beat it, do it through them. there spendy little buggers.

81yota said:
looking good, but why only 4.56's? Dont you wanna run something bigger than a 35? Anyways keep it up. :corn:

My axles are already geared to 4.56, and I'm trying to keep this build on the cheaper side, so I won't regear. Plus the lowest I can go is 4.88 in the front, not worth it IMO. Sure i'd love to be geared lower and run bigger tires, but I have to drive this daily and my whiddy D30 won't support much bigger. Dual D60s down the road :redneck:

My NP231 clocking ring came today:

PICT0001r-1.jpg

Some more goodies showed up...

Picked up some waggy springs over the weekend. Got 1 set for free with YJ mains. I figure I'll be bending YJ mains, but this is what I got for now:

a-10.jpg

A nice Crusty YJ main leaf: :flipoff:

a-12.jpg

Tube Fender stuff:

a-11.jpg

SYE:

a-13.jpg

Man wish I had my truck and shop class my senior year.

Got it all my freshman and sophmore year and that was kit. I could of done some killer stuff.

Looks like a fun build! Where does all you $$ come from lol

Rcbro said:
Man wish I had my truck and shop class my senior year.

Got it all my freshman and sophmore year and that was kit. I could of done some killer stuff.

Looks like a fun build! Where does all you $$ come from lol

I've been selling a lot of my stuff recently and I have a job that pays pretty well for a highschooler.

Cascade_Crawler said:
I've been selling a lot of my stuff recently and I have a job that pays pretty well for a highschooler.

ball park figures so far on all, or just the price of those tube fenders...

wish i could get some hands on look at them to mimic them & build 'em myself.
i need to follow in your footsteps, as i have the same project... to build.
looking good, & i'm very jealous...

Rock_Crusher said:
ball park figures so far on all, or just the price of those tube fenders...

wish i could get some hands on look at them to mimic them & build 'em myself.
i need to follow in your footsteps, as i have the same project... to build.
looking good, & i'm very jealous...

I got a deal on Pirate and got the whole kit for like $150. I coulda just built them myself, but they wouldn't have been as nice. They are the BTF ones, they have a nice 3-d photo thing on their website that you can checkout if you want to copy them, or I can send you some more photos.

CrustyJeep said:
Bah, that'll buff right out :D

a little makeup on those slutty springs would help. hell, i thought about using them, and decided against it :haha: :flipoff:

Jonathen, i will check for that metal tomarrow. :cool:

i think you are right to hold off on re-gear.... wait till you get your axles, esp since you are at 4:56 and can only go to 4:88 just my $.02 :redneck:

Latest posts