• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Setting up used gears

Beerj

Sonzabitches!
I've set up plenty of gears before but it's always been new gears on the existing, original carrier. In that case I would just measure the shims and use that as a starting point for the new set. In this case, the carrier and gears are all used and not original to the housing. I guess my question is are the shim stacks fitted more for the carrier and pinion or the housing? Does that make sense?

Just so im understanding clear. No gears, carrier, or bearing race in current housing? Used gears and carrier going in empty housing.

Check inner pinion race for shim on both. I have mixed old housing and current with either pinion shims. In mine it was mainly in a front diff setup on a dd, weekend warrior. Big thing is put it together and check r/p mesh and backlash. I know there is a "perfect" but there is also acceptable setup that never gives trouble.

Once took junkyard diff that had water/mud inside. Pulled carrier and r/p cleaned with diesel installed in a dd rear differential and changed oil a couple times after 100miles of driving. Last I heard guy still driving with no trouble 2yrs later.

If you have not noticed im a junkyard gear kinda person. No use speeding $200 when $25 visit to junkyard does same thing. Lol

You've basically got it. Completely empty housing. No gears, carrier, pinion or races. The replacement gears (pinion and carrier with ring) still have the bearings on. It's getting new bearings throughout. I'm pretty much just trying to figure out if the shims on yhe replacement items will be worth measuring and starting with or if they'll be way off since it's in a different housing. Also, it's only a front for a similar application, dd/ weekend warrior. Thanks

Do you have access to old housing that carrier and r/p came out of? Maybe able to get really close using old shim size from old diff.

Worse case borrow pinion depth tool. Does the carrier have shims between bearing and housing or bearing and carrier? If bearing and carrier it should be pretty close as is. Good luck.

Every one I've ever done seemed to have the shims fitted to the housing. The gear manufacturers surely can make these parts pretty close from one set to another. That being said, there is a reason why the ring/pinion are sold as matched sets. I do believe the shims are matched to each housing rather than the carriers. But I have been wrong before, and surely will be wrong again.

mikeparker said:
Do you have access to old housing that carrier and r/p came out of? Maybe able to get really close using old shim size from old diff.

Worse case borrow pinion depth tool. Does the carrier have shims between bearing and housing or bearing and carrier? If bearing and carrier it should be pretty close as is. Good luck.
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the old housing. Ebay gears. It's a hp30 so the shims are between the bearing and carrier.
jayphizzle said:
Every one I've ever done seemed to have the shims fitted to the housing. The gear manufacturers surely can make these parts pretty close from one set to another. That being said, there is a reason why the ring/pinion are sold as matched sets. I do believe the shims are matched to each housing rather than the carriers. But I have been wrong before, and surely will be wrong again.
That wouldn't surprise me. I guess since I'm making setup bearings out of the old set it won't be a big deal anyway. Plus using a housing spreader will make things easier as well.
Thanks guys!

Really? I guess I was figuring it'd be a really wide pattern. You'd think the contact area would be close to 100%. I'll be sure to report back what it looks like. Hope to get to the install tomorrow.

Looks like Yukon agrees.

Used Gear Sets
When setting up a used ring and pinion, concentrate only on the pattern created on the
coast side of the ring gear teeth. Pay little attention to the drive side. This is true for most
used gear sets, although both the coast and drive sides should be considered in some
instances.

Beerj said:
Unfortunately, I don't have access to the old housing. Ebay gears. It's a hp30 so the shims are between the bearing and carrier. That wouldn't surprise me. I guess since I'm making setup bearings out of the old set it won't be a big deal anyway. Plus using a housing spreader will make things easier as well.
Thanks guys!

The carrier should be fine. The pinion depth maybe the only difference. I know dana will sometimes put the shim between bearing and pinion and between race and housing. Seen a couple that way on waggy d44 fronts.

I wanna say the gears I pulled out had them between the race and housing on the pinion. At that point I was just in demo mode and didn't really pay too much attention to how they were. I guess I'll figure it out soon enough.

Lol. I am indeed building that super nice buggy but the gears in question are going in the wifes ride. Just an old 89 yj getting "new" axles and a 5.3.

Fyi to anyone wondering/caring, the carrier shims are almost definitely sized to the housing. I had to add 40 thousandths total to get the carrier tight with good preload.