• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shock Recommendations

mark

Front of my truck needs more shock. I need to take some serious bounce out of it when I land. Currently running a single 5125, piggy back reservoirs (I think) with unknown valving that I got from Boony.

Currently running EB coil's w/ stock radius arms. But I'll be going back to leaves with the next rebuild and I'd like to retain the shocks.

100" wheel base. About 700-800 lbs of motor. I'll get to the rear later after I change a couple things, but for now I need to settle the front down.

Friend recommended Bilstein 7100's in a remote reservoir with the stiffest valving they got. To quote him he said (1) set did a good job, a second set worked even better :D. I'll have to check more rule books to see if I can do reservoir shocks and not put me out of class, but most do say no more than one shock per wheel. But 7100's aint *super* cheap. The non-resi's are more budget friendly but I'm wondering if the reservoirs are worth the extra $$.

I'd like to keep up with the Best in the West stuff, Dirt Riot if they ever find a venue, Little PNW stuff and whatever else comes my way. Pipe dream is to build with KOH stock-class in mind, but every-time I read the rules they seem so strict and limiting in that class that the rig would almost little fun anywhere else. And of course the occasional trail ride.

Any recommendation? I'd also like to put in air-bumps, but most rules prohibit them in the lower classes (lame). Any other ideas? Might looking into the Daystar's as a possible alternative, but haven't heard much on their actual performance. I need some sort of bump stop that holds up but doesn't break the bank unless it offers an advantage.

I run the Poly Performance BBCS on my jeep. They work very well.

The only time I have been disappointed in them is at the hammers in the BIG whoops. But I was pushing the limits of those shocks out there.

They are priced right and have really big pistions in them.

I used to run bilstein 5150's but I snapped 2 of the pistons in them at rimrock.

Get some FOA emulsion 2.0's and you can tune the internal valving (both compression & rebound) to get the feel ya want.

X2 on the FOA's. Your issues sound more like a valving issue than type of shock/number of shocks. Chris @ FOA is great to work with and just talking to him about what you're doing he can get you real close on the valving, and if you need to experiment down the road later, rebuilding/revalving is pretty easy and cheap compared to replacing shocks with a different set.

From what I understand I can do the same things with the 7100's. But I'll look into the FOA's as I have heard good things about their service (as well as Bilstin's).

Anyone a dealer that can give me a hook up?

From what I understand I can do the same things with the 7100's. But I'll look into the FOA's as I have heard good things about their service (as well as Bilstin's).

Anyone a dealer that can give me a hook up?

Order direct, Chris was going back east so call and talk to JD, 1-855-362-7469
tell him Brent from BNS sent ya.:awesomework:

Order direct, Chris was going back east so call and talk to JD, 1-855-362-7469
tell him Brent from BNS sent ya.:awesomework:
Thanks. Nice competitive price options of the FOA's.

Hmm, 2" or 2.5".... Resi or non resi.... decision decisions. I'll give Chris or JD a call when I get a chance. I probably should weight the truck, that will probably help as well.

Wish I could do air bumps, I'll have to check more rules.

Damnit, I was going to go FOA's.

Now I will really have some competition. :awesomework:

In all seriousness though, FOA's seem like the way to go right now. You just can't beat their prices.

FWIW, my FOA 2.5" coilovers have been on the front of my rig for 4 years now. They've just over the past few months started seeping a little. I called Chris up, and he hooked me up with the full rebuild parts dirt cheap. Rebuilding them is on my list of things to do here shortly.

Damnit, I was going to go FOA's.

Now I will really have some competition. :awesomework:

I hope so. I was feeling good about this year untill you showed up :D

I felt really good my second run in the woods (we won't talk about the logs :redneck:) and if I can tighten/quicken up the steering a little and firm up the front end..... well them maybe I can start learning how to drive :D

Thanks. Nice competitive price options of the FOA's.

Hmm, 2" or 2.5".... Resi or non resi.... decision decisions. I'll give Chris or JD a call when I get a chance. I probably should weight the truck, that will probably help as well.

Wish I could do air bumps, I'll have to check more rules.

The spring rate being correct for the weight of the truck is very important, the valving comes after that:;.

And like John said the rebuild/valving is priced right and the customer service is great.

I decided to order a set of FOA 2.0 remote res shocks a couple weeks ago. I've heard good things, so I'm hoping it's true.

I did a ton of research, and the FOA's seemed to me like the way to go.

Just realize, FOA was down for several months so all the orders they normally would have had during that time AND all the orders they are getting now has created some lengthy build times. Expect 3-4 week delivery times

Why not stay radius arms and go with coilovers? That would give you control of spring rate and shock valving...
I'm trying to keep the rig grounded in the stock/street and trail classes. Not enough $$ or time to compete in the bigger boy classes, so its budget racing. The radius arms and coils as it is stretch the limit, luckly most of the local races are pretty lax but once you start getting toward the Ultra 4 based classes its starts becoming more of a big deal.

I have some nitrogen charged skyjacker shocks i got from crash years ago (when the truggy transformed) that are now just sitting, theyre almost the same length if not just slightly longer than the 5125s. You're welcome to take them, test em out and see what you think... I have 4 of them ($60 sound ok if you like them). Just give me a jingle. :hi: They're ugly but they always worked very well.

The middle guys: Oh and the fans and other shocks are still for sale as well. :redneck:
IMG_9033Medium.jpg