• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop Air Compressors.

J/Cope79

Looking to finally upgrade my trusty old Craftsman air compressor. I was wondering what everyone out here in Hardline land suggests. Here are the basic specs and the type of work i will need it for:
1. Vertical style for solid mount on concrete pad under a lean to.
2. Quieter the better
3. 220v
4. It needs to be capable of running Die grinders, DA sanders, body saws, etc...
5. Im not needing commercial/ industrial since it will be used on a limited basis(evenings and weekends)

I have Lowes. Home Depot, and Tractor Supply within 10min drive or less so those places are slightly preferred.
Just looking again for real world experience from people that have and use the kind of compressors Im in the market for.

I had to do the same thing your doing now recently. After reading lots of info I got the impression that all the Ingersoll Rand compressors that are sold at TSC and such are total ****. The Kobalt ones at Lowes are decent from my understanding if you bought the bigger 80 gallon twin cylinder ones from my understanding. Get a twin cylinder(two stage) if at all possible because the pump doesn't have to work as hard to build and keep the volume as a single cylinder(single stage) does. I ended up finding a hellva deal on a big industrial 2 stage compressor that was old but had all new pump,electric motor and etc for cheap off of Craigslist and it works like a champ so browse at the used stuff if money is a issue.

I have an Ingersoll Rand T30 that I bought in 2007. The only problem I've had with it in 10 years is the load contactor went bad. I use it daily in a commercial shop setting. We're constantly running air tools and our plasma table at the same time. I'd gladly buy it again.

I installed my Husky 80 gallon compressor when I built my house 16 years ago and have had ZERO problems with it. Not the quietest unit on the market, but that might be due to it bolted down to the concrete floor and acting like a speaker when it runs. :dblthumb:

I need to step up my Air game. I bought a house with a shop this year and my first priority was a lift so other things have been put off for upgrades. :****: I even managed to do lift before house fixer upper **** ! My wife rocks :cougar:

Put these under it when you bolt it to the floor https://www.mcmaster.com/#64865k84/=15y8pkh Helps with the noise.

I've had a Dayton ( Sold by Grangers ) 5hp, 60 gal for the past 25 years with zero problems. Since I've installed a blast cabinet, It's having a hard time keeping up. I got twin cyl, DeVibiss 175 psi, 80 gal tank on a trade and I'm in the process of hooking it up too see if it helps.

P said:
I need to step up my Air game. I bought a house with a shop this year and my first priority was a lift so other things have been put off for upgrades. :****: I even managed to do lift before house fixer upper **** ! My wife rocks :cougar:

Pics of lift or :cougar: or it didn't happen molaugh

Mine was a bit pricey but, these guys are top notch!! I'm running one of their rotary screw compressors, but i hear their piston one are just as good! Might call sometimes they have trade in's that they freshin up and sell cheaper..
https://www.eatoncompressor.com/

ForMud said:
Put these under it when you bolt it to the floor https://www.mcmaster.com/#64865k84/=15y8pkh Helps with the noise.

I've had a Dayton ( Sold by Grangers ) 5hp, 60 gal for the past 25 years with zero problems. Since I've installed a blast cabinet, It's having a hard time keeping up. I got twin cyl, DeVibiss 175 psi, 80 gal tank on a trade and I'm in the process of hooking it up too see if it helps.

Thanks, gonna give them a holler. :dblthumb:

ForMud said:

Was definitely going to put something like that under the mounting feet, now i know exactly where to source them at.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Just tired of the noisy and constant running of my oil less unit. However, its been running its ass off for several yrs but its definitely starting to get weak.

80 gal 2 stage ir from tsc here running strong 5 years so far. Replaced the drain with a longer one.

I used to have a big 80gal Speedaire (Grainger Brand) at my old shop. But when I built a shop I went with a 60 gal Quincy from Northern Tool. Made in the USA, pretty quiet and it fits my needs. With the use of battery impacts and grinders/drills, I seem to hardly use air. The Quincy has a good warrenty and it can get worked on easy and they stock them at Northern stores. I would buy another.

Re:

At this point I hate to brag on my kobalt. Had it about 10 years now twin cylinder, 60gal vertical. They no longer make my exact one but the 80 gallon is very close to mine. Mine spent the first 4 years outside, not recommend in the manual. It still works like it was new. It has gotten louder over the years was super quiet when new. I hate to admit this as well but I've never touched the belts and have only changed the oil once or twice. I did bump the pressure up some to 140 or 150 a few years back. But it's ran everything you mentioned. If it were to crap out tomorrow Id still be happy with the amount of time I've used it trouble free. I use it hard from time to time and sometimes I just air up a tire. If your considering a more expensive unit, I'd buy the kobalt then use the extra to get a nice dryer and automatic drain.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Buddy of mine had this one for sale when I setup my shop, no idea how many gallons, 80 maybe, Ingersoll dual stage pump and 5hp 220v motor. I had to plumb it correctly, add in a check valve, and blow off valve, had to put a smaller pulley on the motor so it wouldn't pull so many amps, build a guard around the belt, and wire it up. Been running strong for over a year and a half. It really surprised me how quiet mine is, literally 1/3 of the noise of the T25s we had at the last shop I worked at. The T25 and T30 are great compressors, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one knowing how bad we treated the those 2 where I used to work. I wired mine up using a contactor, power comes from the panel to the contactor then to the motor. The pressure switch energizes the contactor to turn it on, I have that wired to a light switch inside to turn it off and on. I wish I would have put the air valve inside the building as well but didn't think about it at the time. The rest of the shop is plumbed using the maxair 3/4 air line from northern tool, stupid cheap and easy to do. I have less than $600 in my compressor, air lines, and 2 hose reels. thumb.gif

One of my good friends has had one of the 60 gallon Kobalt uprights from Lowes in his shop for probably 5 or 6 years or so and been happy with it. I don't know much about all the different brands, but had my eye on the same one for when I am ready for a big compressor since he has had good luck on it. And Kobalt stuff usually has pretty good no questions asked warranty through Lowes.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-3-7-HP-60-Gallon-155-PSI-240-Volt-Vertical-Stationary-Electric-Air-Compressor/3370356

Another vote for IR T30. Mine has the cooler to reduce condensate and an automatic timer/blowdown valve. Been going strong for about 16 years.

I've got a 80 gallon two stage puma max 175 psi. It's been a good one so far.