• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shop fans/cooling options

rpf500

Like most of you, my free time is spent in my shop. Last week was working on a project and borrowed a 24" Maxx air fan. It helped a lot so I thought I'd buy one. Went looking at menards and tractor supply, and that got me thinking I may want something besides the 24".

I have a 30 x 60 pole barn. Large door on one end and a standard size garage door on the long side. Opening both gets a good draft going IF there is wind and IF I want them both open. I thought about a large ceiling fan but damn they are expensive. Air conditioning is hard to justify since I'm not using the building for a business or anything. I go days and weeks without working on a project too, so that's another reason I can't see spending the money for AC.

That basically leaves me using an industrial floor can. But, what do you guys use that works? Do you have ceiling or wall vents?

Re:

I haven't looked into it much yet but I just heard a buddy say that there's a new cheap trend going on in the farming world where they're buying reefer units off semi trailers and adapting them to cool their shops.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Section off a much smaller area for wrenching in and put in a big window a/c unit..

I have a one in a 30x40 and it keeps it nice and cool

I got a 35 x 65 shop no insulation. I won't let the boys that work for me run a fan. All they do is stand in front of it and not do anything. So no fans in the shop. 3 days this last week it was 100+. The hottest it has ever been in the shop was 117 in the shop 126 in the shitter. So there's no hiding out in the shitter and cooling off. Ask 5onrocks or Mo and they will tell you I'm not lying.

Re:

I'm in a 24x32, I have 2 24" fans one in each back corner attached to the ceiling. Shop is 80% insulated and it's tolerable in the bama heat

customfab said:
I got a 35 x 65 shop no insulation. I won't let the boys that work for me run a fan. All they do is stand in front of it and not do anything. So no fans in the shop. 3 days this last week it was 100+. The hottest it has ever been in the shop was 117 in the shop 126 in the shitter. So there's no hiding out in the shitter and cooling off. Ask 5onrocks or Mo and they will tell you I'm not lying.

Sounds like an awesome place to work!

customfab said:
I would be inclined to believe that upgrading the insulation and climate control would pay for itself quickly enough. Happy workers are productive workers.

customfab said:

That's nothing to be bragging about. One of your employees go down and with something heat related you better hope you have a better lawyer.

I just put together a new fan at work for the production people who complain about the heat from standing in one place 8 hours... 3phase 480 3hp fan from Grainger and that fawker will roll itself across the floor from its own displacement. Two big box fans get my vote. I make my fans from old air condition unit blowers. They move a good bit of air if you have access to any of those.

I've been at the same building for 25 years a bunch of teenage ***** boys think their tiff infill a 40 year old man works them into the ground.... We call it at my shop MAN **** if you can't handle it I'm Shure ur mommy has one nipple open they could suck on..... Everyone who has work a ith me always wants to come back. Heat is part of it we weld, plasma cut and work on all types of equipment..... I took a pic of the laser temp gauge I had last Friday the top of my head was 101.6 at 3 pm after that i went home mowed the lawn and ran a backhoe after that

customfab said:

I guess you compensate them with a higher salary?

onetoncrawler said:
I guess you compensate them with a higher salary?

I'd guess the complete opposite and probably has a high turnover in employees...ya know cause there all pussies that can't handle the work

Lol i pay a fair pay for what they kno most r starting out and want to learn so if they can handle it at my shop everywhere else will be easy. If you get started early you really get use to it the heat isn't bad but if u go from ac all day and then step out into a 95 we're shop your gonna melt and not do anything

Re:

My FIL's mechanic shop isn't cooled, nor was the steel building shop I was a production welder at. You just sweat and keep hydrated.

The place I work now is always 67-70.

Damn freeze ya out.

customfab said:
Lol i pay a fair pay for what they kno most r starting out and want to learn so if they can handle it at my shop everywhere else will be easy. If you get started early you really get use to it the heat isn't bad but if u go from ac all day and then step out into a 95 we're shop your gonna melt and not do anything
#undercoverboss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk