• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

shortening leaf springs?

SJR

I have a 86 Dodge Dakota Im using the leaf springs on a shorter frame , whats the best way to shorten them? I want to shorten the rear section about 10" , can I just cut the eye off and weld it back on?

O god No, spring steel is not something you want to weld and rely on, trail fix sure, but to run all the time, NO...What eye to eye length are you after?

The Fact that Chop Shop was the only one to say hell yeah welded it up... should be your answer..

Just get the right springs

Nah, I agree with Choppy. Weld it up. You should also heat the whole spring red hot and quench it in ice cold water.

Im looking for good solid advice, really don't know what to think with all these comments, if it can be done I would like to know how, if it cant I would like to know that

Im looking for good solid advice, really don't know what to think with all these comments, if it can be done I would like to know how, if it cant I would like to know that
cutting and welding a leaf spring is insane! cutting it and rerolling the eye may be possible it sound kinda reasonable? your best bet would be to talk to a spring shop or just get the right length spring to begin with

Get the right size spring.

What do you think will happen if your cut and welded spring breaks while you are driving?

Sorry, thought it was obvious that we were fawking with you by this point.

Buy the right length springs, period.

Im looking for good solid advice

Good solid advice would be putting a diagonal bar on that contraption your kids ride in before the roof folds up on everybody inside.

Sometimes "hasher" is cute. Other times its just HASH.

On par for the course. :awesomework:

You can't be serious with that kind of question. If you are, your best bet is to go down and buy a Rubicon right off the lot and then contact the Around the Sound Jeep Club.

I really thought you had to be on Facebook to see a question this stupid. :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes:

Just find shorter spring you cheap bastard. Springs that are not commonly used for swaps are next to free most places.

Ok Scott, I am pretty sure I said from the getgo...and I quote "OHell no"...
Someone on here posted to go talk to a spring shop. Good advice.:awesomework:
Go talk to Swift Enterprises in Everson. He can set you straight and maybe help you out...