• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shotgun talk

my neighbor has a nova and loves it.i have mossberg 500 and love it...
its like shoes man.try'em on......:haha:cheers

go with the nova.. As i owned both at the same time. The 887 and the nova. The 887 is a bulky pile that will never hesitate to have something go wrong.. If you want a gun that will last more than a season get the nova.. :haha:

I'm not a big fan of the Remington 870 simply because of the controls. We have both Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's in the Military and I prefer the Mossberg.

In order to work a Remington, the finger has to come off the trigger, engage the awkward and uncomfortable action release in front of the trigger guard, disengage the safety and pull the trigger.

On a Mossberg the thumb actuates the safety, and you can easily engage the action release with the middle finger, never taking your finger off the trigger. These controls are more "natural" to use.

The Remington is cheaper to upgrade and put a larger magazine on.

The Mossberg uses plastic trigger assembly and safety. You can upgrade these parts buying the police or military versions, however plastic ain't metal. I have many thousands of round through my Mossberg 500 and it hasn't failed. Just saying plastic is plastic.

He's going to be hunting birds not people. You shouldn't have your finger on the trigger until you're pointing at your target (for birds). Having your finger on the trigger while you're taking the safety off is a good way to have the gun discharge.