• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Shotgun talk

Cole1

Ive been looking into getting a new shotgun for duck season next year and was wondering what your guys use. I use to have a mossberg 500 and liked that but was a little bulk and ive shot a few rem 870's and liked the action on them. Now im thinking about getting one of the new rem 887 or the benelli nova. Im mainely looking in the $400-$500 range.

What are your guys opinions or suggestions:corn:

Go big or go home and get a semi-auto 3-1/2":redneck:

I'm a big fan of winchesters handling myself, and I primarly shoot a Mossberg 500. If I were to buy a gun, I would find a used, in good shape, semi-auto winchester and hopefully find it in 3-1/2".

Benelli Nova's have a 3.5" chamber Factory. Alot of Rem 870's, and most mossbergs that i have seen are 3" chamber. You can definitly find 3 1/2" guns of both variety.

Side by side, the nova feels better from the factory IMO. Go to a gun store and handle them. Opinions vary.

I Had a nova, and i wish i still had it. :( Time to buy another.

I went to a few today and i liked the novas but ide like to compare it to the rem 887. I think im gonna have to swing by sports athourity tomorrow so I can compare all of them at the same place.

Ive never used a semi-auto but im a big fan of my over under but its to nice to use:masturbanana[1]: Im leaning more towards a NEW pump.

I have several 870's. I wouldn't use anything else. I'm a big fan of the reliablity of a pump. To be fair I've never shot a Benelli. BTW I'd rather throw rocks than use a mossberg.:stirpot:

I used to lug around an 870 but have since found a fine shotgun in a Winchester 1200....pumps are the only way to go

870s and 500A/Ts are fine guns and are reliable as an AK, but once you use a nice auto they will seem clunky. I used to shoot sporting clays with a DU benelli that was sweet. But on the flip side I wasnt sitting in a dirty old blind...

Thanks for the input guys:awesomework: I went to sports athourity last night so I could check out the rem 870, 887 and the benelli nova side by side and i really liked the rem 887. From what ive read alot of people are giving them good reviews too. From what ive read the 887 was remingtons answer to the benelli nova and it is the same internals as the 870 but its alot lighter being synthetic. Its only priced at $339.00 so it is a good buy too. Im hoping to go out there on monday and buy one so ill let you guys know how it shoots.

On another note what type of chokes should I pick up? Im very green to hunting but ive been shooting clays for about 8 years. Also If I take hunters safety this upcoming year will I be able to get my license for the same year or what is the waiting period:eeek:

I'd get full-choke, as your gun should some with a modified choke.

The full choke is excellent for goose hunting (especially snow geese) as they are usually at a little farther range.

I believe that you can get your licence the same year that you get your hunters saftey card.

The full choke is excellent for goose hunting (especially snow geese) as they are usually at a little farther range.

I believe that you can get your licence the same year that you get your hunters saftey card.

What he said.

Do yourself a favor and stay far far far away from the 887, that gun is a total POS. When I worked at Cabela's, about 30% of the ones that sold came back defective, broken firing pins, feed issues, light striking on the primers, etc. If you want a plastic shotgun, buy a Benelli, you will pay more but you will actually have a GOOD shotgun. If you want a Remington, stick with an 870.

Do yourself a favor and stay far far far away from the 887, that gun is a total POS. When I worked at Cabela's, about 30% of the ones that sold came back defective, broken firing pins, feed issues, light striking on the primers, etc. If you want a plastic shotgun, buy a Benelli, you will pay more but you will actually have a GOOD shotgun. If you want a Remington, stick with an 870.

When did you work there? I know its only been out for about a year but it seemed like all the bad reviews were from when it first came out.

Read the manual before you get a full-choke for waterfowl. A lot of manufacturers don't want you using full-choke with steel shot.

Any of the three guns you're considering can handle steel in a full choke. You can buy a plastics kit for the 870 to handle adverse weather better. I have one on my 870 for waterfowl and it shoots great. If you ever shoot slugs, then you need to look at which choke you're using.

I shoot a Remington 1100 Auto. I put a synthetic stock on it and love it for duck/goose. It jams when it gets dirty so you have to keep it very clean. I want to pick up a pump also, and it will be an 870.

I'm not a big fan of the Remington 870 simply because of the controls. We have both Mossberg 500's and Remington 870's in the Military and I prefer the Mossberg.

In order to work a Remington, the finger has to come off the trigger, engage the awkward and uncomfortable action release in front of the trigger guard, disengage the safety and pull the trigger.

On a Mossberg the thumb actuates the safety, and you can easily engage the action release with the middle finger, never taking your finger off the trigger. These controls are more "natural" to use.

The Remington is cheaper to upgrade and put a larger magazine on.

The Mossberg uses plastic trigger assembly and safety. You can upgrade these parts buying the police or military versions, however plastic ain't metal. I have many thousands of round through my Mossberg 500 and it hasn't failed. Just saying plastic is plastic.