• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Should tires have a "PNW" rating.

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
I have seen many magazine articles and many internet debates on tires.

Most of them have terrain type. IE; MUD, SAND, SNOW, ROCK. Should tires have a reigon scale?

Where I wheeled on the east coast the tire to have was a BFG MUD or ALL terrain. Out here in the PNW, the ALL does fine in dry conditions. Add water and the tire sucks.

Should tire articles consider reigon as well? We have the biggest mix, if you are willing to travel. But you think about people in, lets say, Arizona. They only deal with dry dust and rock conditions. No real mud areas.

What I am trying to say is, here in the PNW we have it all. While most areas have average trail conditions all year, we have different types. If you want a tire, you want something to take it all, what would that be.

It's just finding a hapy medium. It seems that right now "the" tire to run are irocs. I've been totaly hapy with my 38 15.5 15 swamper radials in 6' deep snow, Raven's roost mud, and 3-step granite:D I think anything that air's down well works good.

what about the DD crowd??? I like the BFG ATs since i dont need chains in the passes but an MT for everything else - better for a DD than soft compound swampers and stuff.

Jaydog said:
I agree with the BFG MT's, they are probably the best all around tire IMO

for the northwest... and for the daily drivers / weekend offroader -

agreed, it's the hands down choice... BFG M/T's

---- Trail only rig? - depends on what type of trail -

I was thinking the Swamper TSL was kinda the "all terrain" for the NW...
The other Swampers being the speciality tire for a purpose....
Well other the Riches thornturds....

03 CON said:
I was thinking the Swamper TSL was kinda the "all terrain" for the NW...
The other Swampers being the speciality tire for a purpose....
Well other the Riches thornturds....

From what I have heard, before the IROK, the TSL SX was the tire to have in the PNW, so would that tire have a PNW rating of 10?

I'm running Swamper LTBs on my DD. I have over 22K on them and they still have 80% tread. They came off my old Bronco before I scrapped it and they're great for mall crawling :kissmyass:
I honestly don't know how I've gotten such great mileage out of them, just lucky I guess. :rolleyes:

I've never had much luck with A/Ts, they just don't have the bite. I'll deal with the vibration and poor tire wear of an aggressive tire if it will get me where I wanna go.

Before there was an SX there was the standard TSL.... :redneck:
Old school stuff :haha:

Boomer said:
How about the Goodyear M/TR?

I've seen them in action. They are a very grippy tire in dry condtions.

IMHO, a contender for PNW conitions. But crappy in the mud. Which for 3/4ths of the year is what the PNW is. Unless you are east of the cascades. Then the MT/R is the king.

Jaydog said:
I agree with the BFG MT's, they are probably the best all around tire IMO
PLEASE!! :haha: :haha:

A BFG M/T the best all around tire??
Nope sorry but I have seen way too many BFG's with issues.
Toyo Open Country M/T is the best PNW tire I have ran so far. And I have run TSL Swampers, Boggers, MT/R's, TRX's, Schwab M/T's & Ground Hawgs. The Hawgs are old school and I think that is why most don't run them. Now if your talking a one type of terrain tire there are other betters but for a DD tire it is the Toyo HANDS DOWN!

When I lived up there, I ran Swamper TSL's in the summer and BFG Muds in the winter? Why? The Swampers were the shiznit at Rimrock, and the radials were it in the snow. Mine was a trailer queen though too. Now here I run 37 MTR's great all around even on the trailer. Most here run swamper TSL's and yearn for a 42" TSL SX. Some are running the sticky 39.5 Krawlers. and those who run their DD's MTR's are the primary tire of choice.

We do get mud down here just no as often as you do, the difference is our mud is like clay, if you don't turn a swamper fast enough your not gonna clean it either. These guys with ultra low crawler gears can't turn the tires enough for them to clean out.

BTW I go with the MTR's cos they are cheaper then the other options except maybe swamper TSL. I'd liek to try the Toyo's but No Les Schwab down here and their special order and big $. To run the Krawlers I'd need to drop another $1500 on 17" wheels too.

Rocks?........BFG Krawlers Red labels
Mud? .........Good old fashioned Swampers
Snow?........Mud terrain radial of your choice @ 2 PSI

There's no perfect tire for any region.

I've had a set of BFG M/T's on my rig for the last 5 years.. they are my DD and light trail/snow tire.

i've had good luck on mileage with them too as they have already about 50K on them already and still have quite a bit of tread left on most of them (I have a slight bend on my tie rod so that has an affect on my alignment)..

My only complaint is that they kind of have a weak sidewall.. gotta watch out for the roots and sticks.. I've only lost one tire because of a sidewall bite, but it does happen.

I have a set of Boggers 35x14.50 for more hardcore wheeling.. (read elbe)..

I don't like driving them on the road too much as they make the jeep pretty squirrly