• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

sick of V belts!

1tonyj

Curious as to which serpentine kit you guys that have older style motors use ...I don't need anything flashy...just clean and simple.

1tonyj said:
Curious as to which serpentine kit you guys that have older style motors use ...I don't need anything flashy...just clean and simple.

I still have V belts on Solo, except a serp. on the rear steer pump. I have absolutely no problems with them. What is your issue? Alignment off?

I have fought with alignment issues...throwing belts at high rpm...then also belts slipping on my power steering. A lot if it is the old school cheap factory brackets that have seen better days. Figured if I was gonna get new brackets I'd look at just going to a serp kit.

I run a 1973, 350 that I added TBI to. I got tired of squealing belts too. A trip ti the junk yard , I scavenged a serpentine set up off a 350 I found . I did have to rearrange the setup some to accompany my on board air. Works great now, No squealing belts now.

I converted the 4.2 in my yj to a serpentine belt using brackets from a 4cyl comanche

I WENT WITH THE SUMMIT LOW MOUNT ALTERNATOR KIT BOUT 400 WITH BELTS AND WISH ID DONE IT YEARS AGO NO PROBLEM S AT ALL WILL NEVER GO BACK !!!!!{serpentine}

Mr. leafspring said:
I WENT WITH THE SUMMIT LOW MOUNT ALTERNATOR KIT BOUT 400 WITH BELTS AND WISH ID DONE IT YEARS AGO NO PROBLEM S AT ALL WILL NEVER GO BACK !!!!!{serpentine}

Was actually looking at that kit today online....seems like a good deal for the money. Glad to hear u like it....thxs!

I have the aluminum brackets to put a single serpentine with the air conditioner delete already in place if your interested

Not to change your mind on switching to sperentine, but what brand belts have you been running? I've had pretty good luck out of my Gatorback belts from Goodyear. The problem might also be in a defective or pulley that has a burr on it. I had an issue with alignment and have had KRC custom cut me some crank pulley spacers to align everything up perfectly due to high RPM range. :dunno:

No I appreciate any info...thank you! I been running gates belts. ..but Im pretty sure I'm done with v belts. When I've had enough of something I'm the type of person that'll rip everything out and start over just outta frustration lol.

1tonyj said:
No I appreciate any info...thank you! I been running gates belts. ..but Im pretty sure I'm done with v belts. When I've had enough of something I'm the type of person that'll rip everything out and start over just outta frustration lol.

I don't blame you one bit for wanting to change if you've had enough. Just wanted to throw some information out from my experience with V belts. Serp stuff can get pretty pricey, but maybe a Summit knockoff brand might be cheaper way to go. :dunno:

Yes they can get very pricey. ..I'll prolly try the summit brand just for kicks...I'm sure one of the big names prolly makes it for them. I Will report back on how it does. Thxs again for the info....you guys always have better info and more knowledge than me. ..that's y I love this site!

I remember fighting v belt tension when I ran AC(OBA) pwr steering & alt on a SB chevy running factory brackets. It can be annoying...
What motor? carb or efi? Get a serp setup off of a GM in salvage yard. Remember, if you ever plan to run TPI or any setup that routes an air cleaner filter or tube straight off the front center of motor, you'll need a serp setup from a camaro/vette These are much harder to find. If you run a carb or TBI, its easy, any truck/van with 350/4.3 will work. They have the tensioner right up top center.
Also, keep in mind you will need the reverse direction water pump and fan. Early heads wont have all of the bolt holes for the upper portion of the bracket on one side. You can run without as long as they are all tight. Try to get EVERYTHING. bolts, nuts pulleys etc.

SBC 383 with edelbrock aluminum heads and edelbrock pro-flo injection. Yeah good tip on making sure all the parts and bolts are together on salvage yard stuff....I've ran into issues there before!