• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Since you asked Symon623--Waynes toy..

caulk can be your best friend:clappy:

No wait that might not work here but it sure does wonders for my work:redneck:

So the cage won't be welded in the hard to reach places? I alway's wondered how people were able to weld in the tight little gap's between the tube and headliner. I guess I won't have to take out my headliner to have the cage put in then.

GrandZJ said:
So the cage won't be welded in the hard to reach places? I alway's wondered how people were able to weld in the tight little gap's between the tube and headliner. I guess I won't have to take out my headliner to have the cage put in then.

well i made a 100% welded cage inside a toy, but i made the cage in two pieces. then installed the two fully welded pieces and then sleeved the two pieces together in an easy to weld area. the cage was 1 1/2" .120 wall DOM, sleeved with 1 3/4" .120 wall DOM X 6" long, the sleeve is rossette welded to the original tube. the clearance between the tubes is .010" total, over 6" is a very snug fit.

the sleeved area is the strongest portion of the cage so there is no added weakness and is 100 % fully welded.

i dont remember what circut of car racing using basically stock sedans, but they require a fully welded/gusseted cage. i read about this method on a thread on pirate where Tinbender was building them this way. some people questioned the strength and he produces all the specifications that proved the strength. the only difference was he bolted the sleeves in place where i rossete welded them.

IMHO a not fully welded cage is a stressor waiting to fail. granted the fit of the cope as well as the quality of penetration is critical to strength i have seen what leaving a stressor can do over time. any portion of a circle unwelded will be a stressor.

i liked the idea of sleeving over cutting the sheetmetal away for the couple of little weld beads that were not accessible.

im sure mike has something up his sleeve and has a method to his madness...

discuss...?

Ok since the power is back up and I got a bunch of stuff cleaned up from the storm--its time to get back into the rig.

Here are how the front footer plates ended up. There is a sleeve below the plate like the rear.

wayne8.jpg

Got the A-pillars trimmed and set into place. They are up against the body so in case of a good roll the roof shouldn't go anyplace ;)

wayne9.jpg

Since I got the A-pillars fitted I went and finished trimming the dash so there should be plenty of clearance if the dash needs to come out.
wayne10.jpg

wayne11.jpg

Man, You got:beer: :beer: :beer: everywhere...Must be a requirement to work on a toyota huh....