• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Size of your driveshaft ...

hinton

your driveshaft, what is the smallest size to run does not look like i am going to have a lot of room up front and was seeing if anyone runs about a 2" shaft

also where does everyone get the tabs for mounting like body panels and dask looking for something already threaded thanks

Re: the size of your shaft

I just went though driveshaft clearance issue's when I changed from a 2pc to a 1pc front driveline. Mine is 1.5" OD and homebuilt. I tried several different material's and way's of attaching the driveshaft spline's to those materials and after twisting a couple and breaking a couple have a shaft finally that Im happy with and only cost me 65 bux's for the Tom Woods offset joint. thumb.gif My current shafts is basically a 1350 slip yoke slid over and welded to a toyota 8" rear axle shaft then I butt'd and sleaved the splined end of a convientional driveshaft on the other end and have a 1310 slip on it currently. I have a 1350 yoke and slip to swap on if / when I break that but I dont mind having a known weak link in it. It's a trail rig and I dont want to be fawking up R&P's or more expensive pieces

Re: the size of your shaft

Mine is 1.5" also, problem is all the spicer slips and yokes are for bigger diameter tubing, so you have to improvise a little. My dshaft is 1.5"x.380 wall tubing and they machined down the spicer slip to slide into the tubing. Problem is that piece is about .75" in diameter which is too small and led it to fail recently. The machined piece broke at the weld and half is in the tube and the other half is still attached to the slip. Jimmy at EOR is fixing it up and going with .250 wall tubing and making a better version of the shaft in general.

Pics of the failure
DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

Same thing that failed on mine and you gave me **** for laughing1 I sleeved OVER that portion with .250 wall material so its actually like 2.5 or 2.75 OD in that small area now were its sleeved but its also in a section of my driveline that OD is not an issue. I should have done it initially but I got lazy and let it ride until it failed. It went took a good beating but the insurance of more material and weld surface is always a plus in anything home built.

We gave you **** for butt welding it clown! :flipoff1:

The material in mine failed, there is a piece of that "nipple" still welded in the tube and also a piece still on the slip. Jimmy is reuse what he can on mine and have it fixed right. Mine is 6 years old an there is no evidence of a previous failure. I think it just fatigued that small "nipple" over time and it finally failed.

Buy me a lathe and you'll never see another butt weld out of me again. I do what I can with what I have son.

P said:
Buy me a lathe and you'll never see another butt weld out of me again. I do what I can with what I have son.

I am just fawking with ya. 2 shops in town said they couldn't spin mine on their lathe to fix it, but then again they didn't really want to fix it either....

That's ok, that is why my business goes to EOR. Jimmy makes it happen.

i have to go see jimmy to get some more parts for mine might talk to him about a driveshaft just trying to see what yokes people were using for smaller driveshafts did not want to cause a fight between 2 friends but at least it gives this board some action :dblthumb: :cougar:

Not fighting, that is how we roll round here. It is funny that my dshaft broke since we gave P **** for his breaking eleventy million times :flipoff1: Small drive shafts, they will never work!

Talk to Jimmy for sho.

Next time mine breaks it will be a 1310.... I got that skinny shaft thing figured out after 2 different configurations. :****:

( I got all I need to 1350 the bitch but I like to push things and see were the limit is before going the next step... Its how I roll )

P said:
Next time mine breaks it will be a 1310.... I got that skinny shaft thing figured out after 2 different configurations. :****:

( I got all I need to 1350 the bitch but I like to push things and see were the limit is before going the next step... Its how I roll )

if you could budget some 5.13s, i feel you woudnt have near as much problem....