• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SJ-410 4-Link Project

Drone637

SJ-410 Project

Putting up pictures from the last few weekends of building on the SJ-410.

Axle looks like we can move it back about an inch and still clear the gas tank.

Full picture set can be found at http://picasaweb.google.com/CrawlersNW/4Link#

Shots from the first weekend.

CIMG3270.JPG

Upper link base, front side.

CIMG3271.JPG

Upper link brace, back side.

CIMG3274.JPG

Upper link brace with mount sitting on top. We ended up replacing the mount.

CIMG3277.JPG

Upper link mounts, found square stock just the right size for the Johnny Joints. They are used often.

CIMG3280.JPG

Lower Link Mounts sitting in position.

CIMG3284.JPG

Lower Link Mounts, frame side, sitting in position. No bracing has been added yet.

CIMG3286.JPG

Lower Spring Pad + Lower Link Mount. We had a couple designs on the spring pad design, we ended up modifying this one next week.

CIMG3287.JPG

Upper spring pad mount with brace. The pad is just tacked in at this point in case we need to move it.

CIMG3285.JPG

As the axle sat for a few weeks until we could get back to it.

Last edited:
Pictures from the work finished up this last Sunday. Links are done, mounts are built. The steps for next weekend is to tack the frame mounts in place, put the bump stops on the upper spring mounts and make sure nothing binds up. Then weld it in place and give it a quick test. The new exhaust and shock mounts will probably wait for the week after.

CIMG3295.JPG

Lower spring pads. You can see the spot that allows us to just screw the springs in to hold them in place.

CIMG3296.JPG

Spring on said pad.

CIMG3299.JPG

The Stone Henge we have for the upper links. Someone else called it Link Henge, which makes more sense.

CIMG3302.JPG

Dad cleaning up a bracket.

CIMG3306.JPG

Dad notching the tube old school style.

CIMG3307.JPG

Going with solid bushings on one end, JJ on the other. We can always replace them later if we need to. The ends were cut off of the springs I replaced so we can use easily available bushings.

CIMG3308.JPG

Links ready for installation. Lower links are at 35", upper links at 26.75"

CIMG3312.JPG

It looks like a real suspension finally.

CIMG3315.JPG

CIMG3317.JPG

Under the body with the lower mounts just sitting in place resting on the springs.

heard plenty about it, good to finally see the project in motion:D with any luck you could have this thing out for the spring cleanup?

It should be ready by then. We are hoping to have it rolling next Sunday, might even get a test run in before the Cleanup. :D

Now there's some raw function if I ever seen it. :redneck: Looks good. :awesomework:

What coils are you using?

Using some stock Tracker rear coils, 3.5" so we can go with longer springs if needed. We also have a set of TJ rear coils we might try swapping in that have a bit more spring to them. It should sit about the same height as my old SPOA did in the rear. :)

Today I will be picking up new bolts, as all the parts stores were closed yesterday. Then putting the brakes back on so I know what needs to be replaced. New bushings will be here tomorrow. When I'm in Seattle... Oh well. Full size pics at http://picasaweb.google.com/CrawlersNW/4Link#

So instead of making a test drive yesterday we made sure everything moved properly, put the bump stops and spring pads on (cut off of the front end of a parts Tracker), finalized the welding and painted everything. We are keeping the stock shocks, with different lower mount placement, in order to limit our flex so we don't drop the drive line.

CIMG3325.JPG

Look, no binding!

CIMG3326.JPG

Bit more flex available then with the springs.

CIMG3327.JPG

Springs from a Tracker rear in place with bump stops.

CIMG3332.JPG

Shot of the SJ sitting on the springs. We sit about 1/2" higher in the rear then before, that should be taken care of once I load tools and such in the back. She now sits almost completely level. The rear axle is only an inch further back, but you can't really tell by looking at it.

Then we put primer on everything then painted it with Hammerite using the paint gun. It certainly made everything go faster.

CIMG3336.JPG

CIMG3337.JPG

CIMG3338.JPG

CIMG3339.JPG

CIMG3343.JPG

CIMG3341.JPG

CIMG3342.JPG

Just out of curiousity, why didnt you move the rear axle further back and give yourself a little more wheelbase for added stability and better departure angle?

If you throw a limiting strap/cable right in the center of the rear axle, you can have all the flex your setup will allow, without trashing your shocks, and without dropping the driveline.

Ran into some issues with repairing the brake lines, mainly due to the spares I thought I had not actually existing. A trip to the auto parts store provided the wrong parts, then we raided the parts tracker for something that looked like what we were looking for.

So that meant it was time for a field test! In this case literally.

CIMG3346.JPG

CIMG3347.JPG

CIMG3348.JPG

CIMG3349.JPG

CIMG3354.JPG

CIMG3356.JPG

CIMG3358.JPG

When doing the road test it leans a bit more then before, but controllable. It leans to a point then stops, it does not keep rolling when doing a slalom run. I can now do broadies in the dirt, that is new. And when taking off across the field it just soaks up the bumps instead of bouncing around, not a harsh ride at all.

Now all that is left before the trail runs is to rebuild the front axles and fix the exhaust.

50 Dollar Paint Job

We had 50 bills burning a whole in our collective pockets and wasn't sure what to do with it. So why not get a gallon of paint, some thinner and sand paper and make the SJ look nice and presentable for the 4th of July parade?

Some additional shots of the vehicle during prep will be added later.

SSPX0110.jpg

Papered up with the first coat of paint on.

SSPX0111.jpg

Left to let the paint dry.

SSPX0112.jpg

In the sun enjoying the new look. Highlights were added to the rocker panels, the bumpers repainted and the wheels given a quick coat of paint. The SJ-410 logo's were given a white highlighting to bring them closer to stock and stuck back in place.

SSPX0113.jpg

We even managed to save the Team Trophy Challenge 2007 sticker, as there aren't replacements available.

Since we used the base Safety Red without mixing, and we have a gallon of it and this took a little over a quart, we can re-paint as needed as I scrape paint off. Before winter we will paint the targa bar and doors along with a new windshield frame with a plexi-glass windshield from Roadless Gear.