• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Skinny Rims

6" might be pushing it a little. But if you got the stuff try one. It might inset the tire and you might rub a lot.

im running stock chevy 16.5x6.5 wheels with a weld on beadlock kit..with 42x14 iroks...and they are more rounded profile on the skinnier wheel when aired up,but at 5-8 psi they work great!

Thats what I like to hear!

You know a guy who ran 36x13.5x15s Iroks on 7" wide wheels for 3-4 years and ran 39.5x13.5x15s Iroks on 7" wide wheels for a season.......... I dont recall him having any troubles....:D

Edit: I'd personally not go to a 6" rim though...that seems a bit excessive....

Last edited:
Hi All:

The tire shop will tell you that a 12.5 inch wide tire should go on a 8.5 to 10.5 inch wide wheel. From my personal experience a 7 to 8 inch wide wheel works just fine; a more narrow rim helps to hold the tire bead better while aired-down.

Now, for example a 10.5 inch wide tire should not be used on a rim wider than 6 or 7 inches.

Regards,

Alan

How would a 6" wide rim act on 12.5" wide tire? Ballon? Blow beads? Tell me please!

Last edited:
im running stock chevy 16.5x6.5 wheels with a weld on beadlock kit..with 42x14 iroks...and they are more rounded profile on the skinnier wheel when aired up,but at 5-8 psi they work great!

I love Iroks epecially in the 42 inch variety

Hi All:

The tire shop will tell you that a 12.5 inch wide tire should go on a 8.5 to 10.5 inch wide wheel. From my personal experience a 7 to 8 inch wide wheel works just fine; a more narrow rim helps to hold the tire bead better while aired-down.

Now, IMHO a 6 inch wide wheel should not be used on tire wider than 10.5 inches.

Regards,

Alan

Why not?

a 12.5" wide tire on a 6" wide wheel means that the wheel is 48% as wide as the wheel...

With my 16.5" wide PBR's on a 8.25" H1 the wheel is 50% as wide as the wheel...

same **** different day... works just fine.

How would a 6" rim on a 12.5" tire be different than a 7" rim on 14" wide tires? What makes it "bad"?

yeah those boonie... :stirpot:

Generaly the wider the tire the taller the tire. Meaning more side wall to flex when squeezed on to a narrow wheel.

Im running 19.5 wide boggers on 10'' wheels. No problems yet. They ballon some when you fill the tires to proper street air presure. But i use them offroad only N they stay between 4-10 psi.:awesomework:

Generaly the wider the tire the taller the tire. Meaning more side wall to flex when squeezed on to a narrow wheel.

Im running 19.5 wide boggers on 10'' wheels. No problems yet. They ballon some when you fill the tires to proper street air presure. But i use them offroad only N they stay between 4-10 psi.:awesomework:

Could you get a pic of the balloning thats accuring at street pressure?

dually guys run this setup all the time haulin heavy loads. you should be perfectly fine :awesomework: