• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Slide in camper dos / donts

Here's a question for you guys.......I'm thinking about buying a camper. Would you buy one with a toilet and or shower? What about a outside shower? How big of a deal is it to empty the tanks? What's it typically cost? Could I just go to a RV place and pay to dump there?

Worth it to me to get the toilet. They aren't difficult to dump, and it's free at rest stops. Always nice to get a dry bathroom, but that's usually only in the larger campers. Wet baths are fine though. And don't expect much room in any bathroom in a camper. But if your not overweight, your all good :redneck:

Here's a question for you guys.......I'm thinking about buying a camper. Would you buy one with a toilet and or shower? What about a outside shower? How big of a deal is it to empty the tanks? What's it typically cost? Could I just go to a RV place and pay to dump there?

Showers are about useless, unless you have an unlimited water supply and are hooked up to a grey/black water drain. They simply use too much water. That typed, most all nicer campers will have a shower.
Regarding toilets, if you're smart, you'll try 'em out BEFORE you buy the camper. My uncle bought a nice camper, but traded it back to the dealer after the first time camping. Turns out, once he sat down, he was unable to get back up, as his knees were buried in the opposite wall, and he had no grab handles to assist. Hip room, leg room in the shitter is really important on a camper. And when we're camping, it's often during winter, so we've got heavier clothing to make it even tighter.

Dumping the grey (dishwater) and black (shitter) water is relatively easy and cheap. Don't worry about it. I do it for free at the local waste water treatment facility, which is near my work. But most Interstate rest stops have a dump, most RV dealers have a dump, most State Parks with RV camping have a dump, so it's pretty common. Some (State Parks) charge a minimal fee.

Great info guys, keep it comming.:cool: Couple details......I'm looking at used as I'm a cheap ass and I have a short bed truck so it seems I'm limited in a few ways. How long of a camper will be OK on a shortbed?...It looks like with a shortbed I will have to choose between a bathroom and a stove. The whole camper thing is mostly about keeping moma comfortable more than me so ultimately she will choose the details :rolleyes:but the more facts we have the better.

Great info guys, keep it comming.:cool: Couple details......I'm looking at used as I'm a cheap ass and I have a short bed truck so it seems I'm limited in a few ways. How long of a camper will be OK on a shortbed?...It looks like with a shortbed I will have to choose between a bathroom and a stove. The whole camper thing is mostly about keeping moma comfortable more than me so ultimately she will choose the details :rolleyes:but the more facts we have the better.

You can probably fit up to a 9.5 on a 6 (or 6.5) bed safely. Anything longer will be problematic. If it was I, I'd not go longer than a 8.5.

One thing to consider, if you want to tow, and carry the camper, then you'll have to work into the equation an extended trailer hitch.

I would not feel safe carring anything bigger then 8.5 feet on a short box. A dealer won't sell you any thing bigger then 8.5 for a short box truck.

I dump at the rest areas, its free :awesomework:

What camper line are you looking at? New or used?

Used....Weight is important to me as well and it seems newer campers tend to be lighter..My truck is 3/4 ton so I plan on air bags.

Mine's a 9.5", and yes, toilet is a must (even for me!!!:haha:); If you're wife's gonna make the decision on amenities---you'll get a toilet!:redneck: As for shower---I have an outside shower, but I have yet to use it...
As for length Rick, you'd probably be best to stick with no longer than 8.5', and you can get some pretty nice ones (with a sink AND a toilet!:redneck:) depending on how much $$ you wish to put out...I've seen a few shorter ones for pretty good prices out there...Jesse in our club picked up a late 90's 8.5' last fall for around $4K, and it's nice!!!
Oh, and X2 on the dump thing; Smokey Point Rest Stop has free dump stations, as do a fair amt of gas stations---ya just gotta check around your area, you'd be surprised how many are out there!!!:;

Yeah I see a few on CL for the 4k-5k range. A bit older is cheaper obviosely....I think I will stay within 8'-6" so I don't have to buy an extended hitch too.
I can talk my old lady into just about anything as far as buying a camper but it would be nice if she actually did like it. I've been trying to get her to camp more often with me for years and if she's comfortable there's more chance of it.

Used....Weight is important to me as well and it seems newer campers tend to be lighter..My truck is 3/4 ton so I plan on air bags.

NO!... These 8.5 campers are pretty light. You WON'T need airbags to carry the weight of the camper.

My F250 does just fine with a 8.5 camper.

Keep in mind, that even with a 8.5 foot camper on a short box, you will still need a stinger to tow.

It seems to me that towing a car trailer where nothing up front is above the tongue I should have a bit of room there. I'll keep this in mind though.:cool:

It seems to me that towing a car trailer where nothing up front is above the tongue I should have a bit of room there. I'll keep this in mind though.:cool:

Please do, i would hate to hear of you taking a corner too sharp and taking out the corner of your camper :mad:

When i had a short box with a 8.5 ft camper, there is no way I would tow anything with out a stinger. The hitch was like 18" under the camper and i just did not feel right. i was not going to take the chance at damaging my camper.

I have a 3/4 ton and tow with a 8.5 ft camper on my truck with out air bags, but i would like to get some, my truck would not be so tipsy. It hold just fine but feels tipsy on some turn's.

Last edited:
then you'll have to work into the equation an extended trailer hitch.

you will still need a stinger to tow.

Please do, i would hate to hear of you taking a corner too sharp and taking out the corner of your camper :mad:

When i had a short box with a 8.5 ft camper, there is no way I would tow anything with out a stinger. The hitch was like 18" under the camper and i just did not feel right. i was not going to take the chance at damaging my camper..

It's not going to work right, especially when you have to back the trailer up, unless you get a hitch extension /stinger. You'll jackknife that sucka quick, and smash the corners of the camper.

Hate to type it, but longbeds rule when it comes to campers.

Rick, you've probably seen my truck, and with my camper, I do use an 18" extended stinger, especially on long tows (E Wa for example)......No ill effects when towing, and it's just added insurance in the case that gasman pointed out---it would SUCK to self-inflict wounds to the camper!:D:awesomework: Have I run without the extension? Sure, but it does make you accutely aware when turning! With the extension, it's business as usual.:;

You can also use a weight dis hitch with your ext. They do make campers that are more trailer friendly. I have an angler by fleet wood and it has nothing hanging down lower than the floor of the pick up bed.

Rick, you've probably seen my truck, and with my camper, I do use an 18" extended stinger, especially on long tows (E Wa for example)......No ill effects when towing, and it's just added insurance in the case that gasman pointed out---it would SUCK to self-inflict wounds to the camper!:D:awesomework: Have I run without the extension? Sure, but it does make you accutely aware when turning! With the extension, it's business as usual.:;

What hitch do you have? I have a stock SD hitch..

It's an Ultra Frame 12K under mine (single-stinger), with Torque Lift frame-mounted Camper tiedowns...Mine's also a flatbottom camper as ceb0217 was describing. Most newer 9.5' and smaller campers are flatbottom though anymore.
Depending on your tongue weight, you should be fine, especially with a weight-dist. hitch setup....:awesomework:

Latest posts