• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

SLOWWW TJ build

AAAAAGGGHHHH who's on first again I'm confused :dunno: but wait till you get that building.... :spin: mmmmmm heat thumb.gif GOOD LIGHT :eek: No sunlight through the walls 8)

got a little more done, rear link system is done, front is all but done. might move the frame end of the uppers on teh front down about 1.5" and make it clear the motor mount braces better now that there isn't a factory rad in teh way. in the pics it has about 1.5" more stuff in teh front and 3.5" in the rear. The tire is also 1" too low on the axle, as I stand'd the axle too high for the tire. it will be closer to the hood by at least 2.5" at stuff. the rear you can see the converging links are hitting his old body mount crossmember, which was a 2x4 laid on its side directly above the rear bridge and link ends ??? that took away all the stuff room. it is getting backhalved anyway, so when its gone that's the 3ish" I was referring to, plus what I cut into the tub. I'd rather have it with 2" more stuff in the rear and put the 16's back there with the air bumps set up so that you NEVER have the back breaking flyswatter effect of front landing hard and then back pancaking and compressing your spine.
You can see the rear link crossmember a bit, and you can see the frame in the last pics where it was spliced onto and where its getting whacked off.
100_2738.jpg

100_2737.jpg

100_2736.jpg

100_2735.jpg

100_2739.jpg

100_2740.jpg

100_2741.jpg

100_2743.jpg

dude your pics are almost as good as Paul's! :flipoff1: :eek: :eek :flipgotcha: hope you are getting a camera for Christmas! :woody:

sounds like you have a good plan, lookin forward to seeing the pics of the finished product

1TONZR2 said:
dude your pics are almost as good as Paul's! :flipoff1: :eek: :eek :flipgotcha: hope you are getting a camera for Christmas! :woody:

sounds like you have a good plan, lookin forward to seeing the pics of the finished product
this one is way too easy to use with rechargeable batteries and a docking station that charges it and DL's the pics automatically. I don't want to have one with a cord and batteries and ****. **** that.

OK the pics aren't great but the TJ looks awesome. drool Atlas will be on the way or at least order on the 10th. loller.gif and kelly I can agree I can't wait till it out and on the trails... this vehicle has been down for 2yrs. for me, but it will be worth the wait.

Okay, rest of links are welded on the rear, all the welds I could reach on the bridge are ground out and rewelded, some of them multi pass to cover it up. I glued and boxed the axle tube mounts and ground out all the way around the tubes and laid a pass in. I also whacked off the rear frame rails and capped them off with a broke plate with room for 2 1.75" tubes vertically stacked. Going to go out, cycle the front 1 more time and make sure all is savvy and start gluing mounts up there/ mounting air shocks.
All my air lines are frozen so no burntable, my quench buckets are solid and have been for the week, and my toes are numb. back at it for a bit, I have death magnetic and the new disturbed to keep me warm. laughing1

I like that color.... :dunno:

Looking good Kelly, looking forward to seeing it on tires at ride height ! Atlas ... :eek: blang blang ! I wish I had one ! drool

I left a little after 10 last night, ****ing 7* on the truck AAT and 5* at the bank by the bar. oh yeah. I went to the bar. that cost me. wifffey no happy.
I did get the front frame rails cleaned up by cutting off old steering box mount, coil buckets and shock towers. ground off as good as its going to get. there is rust pitting behind the old mounts and undercut on the factory welds :indianajones: all of them have been, wtf ::)

here are some pics from last night, just none of the cleaned rails.
That rear end took a while to weld up as there was a lot of grinding out of old stuff to do
after gouge out, rewelded as best as I could with the gap and thin wall of the johnny
100_2754.jpg

this is the one I think gets moved down to the frame rail with a tube frenched through
100_2755.jpg

more grind out and reweld, this one multipass to cover what was there and add strength
100_2750.jpg

100_2751.jpg

100_2752.jpg

more grind out and big gap fill
100_2753.jpg

at 20" droop (its getting 14's. dshaft still wasn't close to binding though
100_2744.jpg

very spotty
100_2745.jpg

100_2746.jpg

undercut and fat/rolled
100_2749.jpg

100_2747.jpg

HOly hell... who blew snot all over that thing previously ! laughing1 Looks like a massive come apart waiting to happen. That has to suck grinding all that **** off and re-doing it. I woulda passed on that project cause Im to much of a ***** for all that grunt work ! Looks good, I like the "trick tab" style mount you made on the frame rail, looks really sharp ! thumb.gif

laughing1 Thats just wrong, Kelly the pics look great, I think some of those Super Shitty welds are mine.( sorry to say) All Doug had was a Hobart 110 welder if that explains anything... Remember he's a Machinist... :dunno: ::)

TealJ VL said:
laughing1 Thats just wrong, Kelly the pics look great, I think some of those Super Shitty welds are mine.( sorry to say) All Doug had was a Hobart 110 welder if that explains anything... Remember he's a Machinist... :dunno: ::)
yup, I'm not trying to drag him through the mud. His machining is top fuggin notch, mine is sloppy and would probably make him cry and drink heavily. Some people have it in some areas and not others. I'm working on the machining. I need more time on the lathe, some real tooling and I need my mill to run. also a teacher wouldn't hurt. no one has shown me so I'm flying in blind

I'm picking up the POR 15 today on this unseasonal warm day with the high of 64. painting all the tubing and frame, it should look clean and be extremely durable... loller.gif

I have a Christmas dinner tonight so I can't help, but I'm going to leave the shop unlocked for Ryan and his buddy to go in and POR everything that's done. Then we can sit the front down on the airs and get busy on chopping the rear tub the **** up and tubing it out.

Rig is lookin great. workin on the dovetail and tubing the backhalf. waiting on bumps and high steerarms. :flipgotcha: but hitit