• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Sm420 question

bharris68

I'm rebuilding an SM420 4 speed. Having followed the directions from Novak with their kit, i'm starting a what I believe to be a properly assembled transmisison, but I can't seem to make first or 4th. work correctly.. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Is anyone here good with these transmissions such that I could post pix and you could point out where I may have gone awry?

Thanks!

Brett.

I did a full rebuild on mine before I installed it a couple years ago (of course, mine won't stay in 2nd...).

Having trouble with 1st and 4th doesn't really make sense :scratchhead:

Sounds like to me sumthing is wrong in you linkage that is not allowing your manual get fully engaged into gear. . . . just a thought

Sounds like to me sumthing is wrong in you linkage that is not allowing your manual get fully engaged into gear. . . . just a thought

There's no linkage. It's just a shift cane into the top of the tranny (except the linkage-operated ones in Gama Goats). 1st and 4th are opposite directions (up vs. down) and on different shift rails. That's why I said it doesn't make sense...

So reverse, 2nd, and 3rd all seem to work ok?

I'd be lying if I said I could tell the difference. Since the thing had no top cover on it when I got it from the guy... Looking at it, it seems like the 2nd. gear synchronizer gear is ALWAYS in contact with the lower idler gears?? I'll shoot pictures tonight and post them up so that you can see what I'm talking about. You're right - it's a pretty simple transmissio which is why I'm puzzled...

Well I'm certainly not an expert, but I still remember a little bit.

If you shoot me your email addy I can send you the scanned images of a rebuild manual I used - it's about 9 pages totalling 5MB.