• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Smaller & lighter brakes on D60 Front ?

KyTrash

I'm looking for a CHEAP way to put smaller & lighter calipers and rotors on my Dana 60 front?I noticed Bobby Tanner's buggy has something different on it.

Re: Smaller & lighter brakes on D60

Find a junkyard D44 from an old blazer. The backing plate is also the caliper bracket. Cut away the 2/3 of it that you don't need. Take the old calipers down to the parts store and get a pair of remans (about 20 bucks each). Grind the inside radius of the bracket to fit the axle tube. Round up a pair of 8 lug rotors, 11 to 12 inch will work. Put the rotors on the axle and mount the calipers in the brackets. Shoot air to the calipers so they clamp on the rotor and welder the bracket to the axle tube. Done deal. Easy, cheap and works good.

Sorry, missed that word "front". :dunno: Check with Kelly (Blacksheep), He's a cheap bastard like me and has probably already done something like this. Plus he can make any parts you might need.

make your own brackets from 3/8 to 1/2" plate, drill and slot your rotors, wilwood calipers - thats the cheapest way i know and what Coleworx has done on a few rigs - spidertrax hats and rotors are the lightest I know of and cheaper than you probably think - have to run aftermarket calipers for sure though which are about $150 each + pads

doctordick said:
Sorry, missed that word "front". :dunno: Check with Kelly (Blacksheep), He's a cheap bastard like me and has probably already done something like this. Plus he can make any parts you might need.

He burned a set for me and I think Copperhead used them on his.
He already has the file so he would just have to burn em out if he doesn't have them lying around already.

Paging Blacksheep!! Kelly helped me with something awhile back.Just talked to Kelly, he has them for a Ford 60.

I GOT A CHEVY 60 FRONT AND I USED SAM'S OFF ROADS BRACKETS KINDA PRICEY AND DANA 44 HEAVY DUTY [WITH THE BIG HUBS] 8 LUG ROTERS. I THINK THEY COME OFF A 79 MODEL CHEVY TRUCK AND HALF TON CHEVY CALIPERS AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.