• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snow in the South?

Re: Re: Snow in the South?

poolman said:
I agree, and hot water will freeze before cold everytime.
Wonder why that is? I always figured the cold would freeze first.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My one time I had a water line freeze in my old house, it was the hot line. But I caught it when it was a slushee and rant the water for a few minutes to correct. Total luck

Vents like you're talking about will help, and put some of the pipe insulation over that run headed that way.

blacksheep10 said:
We just put pex in Dad's shop floor, just not sure how to warm the water yet. When I build my shop house, doing it there as well. The one time I worked a COLD weekend in a hydronic radiant floor shop I was blown the F away. I mean, long sleeve t shirt and it was 20 outside. No furnace running, no hot and cold zones, everything you touch is warm and radiating heat to you. Super badass
most guys up here that run the pex in concrete have it hooked to a large hot water heater and then to a pump system, I have a friend who built a garage type house and this is how he heats his house, there's a house on a big ass hill that ran it in his driveway, I hope I can afford it when I build my shop

I love learning from you smart fawkers.

9d71660c5c4d8a98ddc644bc57df0871.gif

TacomaJD said:
Sumbitch, water is froze in our 2nd bathroom. The hot water, not the cold water, which is crazy. My buddy we bought the house from said all water supply lines are pex, so they shouldn't bust, but I dont see it thawing before tomorrow. Was 12° a couple hours ago (around 10am).

91f3d9f3db4f2109aa51b863a34c6c3c.jpg

You should've googled that one before you made this post :dblthumb:

ForMud said:
Chews his nails too.....

Actually just cut them, never chewed my nails. :flipoff1:

And I figure I have fairly large hands, always wear XL or 2XL in motorcycle gloves. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7, just a tad bigger than average size...not the biggest, not the smallest.

blacksheep10 said:
We just put pex in Dad's shop floor, just not sure how to warm the water yet. When I build my shop house, doing it there as well. The one time I worked a COLD weekend in a hydronic radiant floor shop I was blown the F away. I mean, long sleeve t shirt and it was 20 outside. No furnace running, no hot and cold zones, everything you touch is warm and radiating heat to you. Super badass
Yeah you know what I'm talkin about. My dad builds homes up north and runs these systems in their high end builds.

Once I learned that if you do all of the work yourself it costs less than a large forced air gas system, less than a stand alone furnace and it was a no brainer.

Yes the system is designed to run with circulated water. So I'm guessing your question is whether you'll use a wood burner boiler setup, an open system style that circulates fresh ground water or a closed system like what I will run.

Cost efficiency wise, the closed system is the way to go. You can run a 110v circ pump and a smaller 110v electric about a 40gal max water heater then you can run your system during a power outage with a small generator. Though your square footage makes a big difference on your system choices.

Or you can run all 240v if you have a bad boy genny. Either setup doesn't pull crazy amps.

But there is also much more to the system than just the heat source. So maybe that's what you're talking about?
Either way, I'll share my experience with my shop build. Soon as I'm done.

Side note, I spit my coke on the lunch table laughing about the hard time given to JD. Lol

Re: Re:

tonybolton said:
Doin the heat pump as well. The original shitty unit that came with this house I've had to baby for the past 2 or 3 years. I've always had high utility bill but I just figured that's what it was.

At the end of summer last year the unit finally crapped out and I just went ahead and did a complete new from A to Z.

Even with the 7 and 12 degree temperatures and the auxiliary heat staying on sometimes... I just got my first utility bill from this coldness and it's seriously $50 less than it used to be.

The guy putting it in told me that I would see anywhere from 40 to $80 difference in my utility bill because the old one was so shity.

Back to the heat source topic, the unit in our new house heats it great. It's a Carrier high efficiency unit, buddy said he bought one a little bigger than what was recommended for the size house when they built it. My old house had a Goodman unit, house only around 1000 sq ft, and it struggled to heat it in the super cold temps. My peak power bill at old house was usually around $205-$220, once or twice a year. My power bill at new house was $231 for last month and it's around 1600 sq ft heated. This month's bill should be higher due to this long string of freezing ass temps. Apples to apples, the unit at our new house is much more efficient than old house. But heating more than 1.5 times the amount of space, an increase is to be expected. This is our first winter in it, so I'm anxious to see how much the next bill will be....then maybe the **** will start getting cheaper after that one.

I know one thing, I'm ready to ride my damn motorcycle, so this sub-freezing weather can go get fawked!

Re:

TacomaJD said:
I'd imagine they are froze in the crawl space. One thing I have got to change on this house is the vents in foundation. They are open screen vents, no option to close them to keep the wind out. My old house had ones that you could slide open or closed. The frozen 2nd bathroom is on the end of the house the wind has been blowing against, so I figure the wated lines probably run close to a foundation vent and the wind helped freeze em. Nothing is frozen in the kitchen or master bath.

Use some old truck tags or some lexan cut to fit :****:

Go to the store and get some blue board or other board insulation. Take a knife and cut it out to fit the vents.

Also, quit being a pansy. Climb under the house with a hair dryer and thaw out the pipes.

paradisepwoffrd said:
Go to the store and get some blue board or other board insulation. Take a knife and cut it out to fit the vents.

Also, quit being a pansy. Climb under the house with a hair dryer and thaw out the pipes.

I'm not a big house crawler underer.....I hire that **** done. Lol

They just delayed schools two hours tomorrow. WTF.....too cold? Ain't gonna be much difference in the temp at 9:30 than regular time at 7:30. **** is ridiculous. Lol