• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Snow roads

JThompson

I think I may run around in the hills tomorrow night to see what high mountain roads are open/gated since last year... trailering of course! :fawkdancesmiley:

Is Tonga gated? I know it was last year... Sucked!

How has Harlan Ridge looked?

Tonga is closed about a mile past the last Y (you go up to the right) due to a wash out...

I think ethan went up to Harlan Ridge last weekend looking for bear and he said he saw some traces of snow...

Tonga is closed about a mile past the last Y (you go up to the right) due to a wash out...

I think ethan went up to Harlan Ridge last weekend looking for bear and he said he saw some traces of snow...

The last Y? Hmm... At the Y about 1/2 mile past the trestle, I usually go left there, and the gate I knew of was aprox. 1 mile (?) up....

In any case, all out good road is closing! How are the yuppies to get to the trailhead up on/near Tonga wilderness??????

Tonga has been closed due to a wash out, but it's passible. There was some ecology blocks that partialy blocked the road, but they were pulled out of the way last I knew. Only thing that was signing the road closed was a little sign that USFS put up.

The only gate I have seen on tonga lately is the gate that blocks off the road to the right (that crosses the river) and heads up on the ridge above sky.

So, did the fix the washout then?

Regardless, there is another road that goes up on that ridge. It was the original road going up on the ridge before they built the nice USFS graded road. Still numbered and everything. It is the on your left immediately after the train trestel bridge. It is completely overgrown, but if you look on the map, it goes all the way to the top. I found where it comes out on the top as well. I just haven't had time to go up and clear the bottom section of the trail of brush/trees.

I don't understand the road marking system up there, but the rougher unmaintained ones seemed to have a red diamond or something (IIRC). This "road" had one of those, so it may in fact be a trail at this point.

Craig

So, did the fix the washout then?

Regardless, there is another road that goes up on that ridge. It was the original road going up on the ridge before they built the nice USFS graded road. Still numbered and everything. It is the on your left immediately after the train trestel bridge. It is completely overgrown, but if you look on the map, it goes all the way to the top. I found where it comes out on the top as well. I just haven't had time to go up and clear the bottom section of the trail of brush/trees.

I don't understand the road marking system up there, but the rougher unmaintained ones seemed to have a red diamond or something (IIRC). This "road" had one of those, so it may in fact be a trail at this point.

Craig

The road is still there, but there is a bridge up near the RR tracks that is washed out.