• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So,when did it become so cool To break ****? Looks like I'm a HUGE nerd. shucks!

blugreenformula said:
Coming from the west coast wheeling scene, I can say that what goes on out here isn't "crawling"! Atleast what I have seen. I have always been very gentle on the go fast pedal, because im running on a very tight budget, and as soon as I unloaded my new rig off the trailer I learned that down here, wheel speed is key. It will take me along time to truly get the hang of wheeling here because of this. Out west it was 1st gear, low on the range box, and low range on the t case. 5.38 gears on 39's. Here everything I bumped up against I bounced off of, and it took a while to figure out there isn't any ****ing traction here!
Im with you kush, I drive like my Visa card is under my skinny pedal, and every time I mash on it, money blows out the tail pipe!

haha so true. I recently had a few west coast friends come in town to wheel with us. They were so blown away by the lack of traction on the rocks here. They called them petrified ice caps :rolf:

But as far as the topic of this post, I understand it in many different ways.
1. Some mash their motor because of a lack of experience / lack of seat time.
2. Some mash to be seen by the crowd.
3. Some mash because their rigs don't work well or they're on a trail harder than what they should be on.
4. Some mash because they have a ton of experience and only the hardest trails satisfy their competitive nature.
5. And some people are just plain ignorant wanna be :tc who've watched too many youtube videos.

Personally I hate breaking but I'm also guilty of putting quite a few stellar beat downs on my rig. If I can crawl it I will but I built my rig and I know it well enough to know exactly what it will take to get up something. When I come to those spots in the trail that require a little momentum and wheel speed, that's what I give it.

I am full blown ignorant. Loud noises, going fast into places I shouldn't, overdriving the vehicle.

For the most part I drive sane enough not to break parts. I will push a rig to find out what it will do. Sometimes I probably take it too far, but I guarantee I have as much fun as anyone there. The money issue is definitely why I don't have more broken **** to learn how to weld back together. Knowing I can drive back onto the trailer at the end of the day does make me happy.

Strangely enough, I would like to have two rigs to bring with me. One to beat like it owes me money and the other to drive once I ****ed the first one up. I've had a heavy right foot since birth and I don't really like nice stuff. I'd rather have some dents, scratches and mismatched paint. If it doesn't last two weeks, as long as I had fun, I don't really care. Now, I do hate to take up others time for recovery, but I am willing to help others. I hope it washes out when it is all said and done.

Basically, I think I am contradicting myself somewhere here.

I love riding with my buddy Bobby, because we flat cover ground. Trail, trail, trail, trail, let kids out to stretch legs, trail, trail, trail, lunch, nap (for kiddos), trail, trail, trail, go home.

tallnate said:
haha so true. I recently had a few west coast friends come in town to wheel with us. They were so blown away by the lack of traction on the rocks here. They called them petrified ice caps :rolf:

But as far as the topic of this post, I understand it in many different ways.
1. Some mash their motor because of a lack of experience / lack of seat time.
2. Some mash to be seen by the crowd.
3. Some mash because their rigs don't work well or they're on a trail harder than what they should be on.
4. Some mash because they have a ton of experience and only the hardest trails satisfy their competitive nature.
5. And some people are just plain ignorant wanna be :tc who've watched too many youtube videos.

Personally I hate breaking but I'm also guilty of putting quite a few stellar beat downs on my rig. If I can crawl it I will but I built my rig and I know it well enough to know exactly what it will take to get up something. When I come to those spots in the trail that require a little momentum and wheel speed, that's what I give it.
I fall under 4 and some 5 and a little 2!

JohnG said:
I think it is all about driving style. Mine is the hardest line possible I can make SLOWLY. I love not spinning a tire on something others struggle with.

x4 but the skinny pedal is fun from time to time too :driving:

CHASMAN9 said:
Where on the other coast did you wheel? I'm pretty well versed in the areas. thumb.gif

Moab, area BFE, area 52 (2 hrs north of Vegas), lake havasu, and most anywhere in southern NV.
About the only known place I didn't hit in NV was moon rocks which is towards Reno.

blugreenformula said:
Moab, area BFE, area 52 (2 hrs north of Vegas), lake havasu, and most anywhere in southern NV.
About the only known place I didn't hit in NV was moon rocks which is towards Reno.

Great wheelin out there. I went to school and at UNR and wheeled throughout the Reno to Truckee to south Lake Tahoe almost everyday. The Sierras were in my back yard and was way before MoonRocks was even being wheeled. We ran snowmobiles all the way up to Virginia city from 395 duting the winter. I was just curious. :dblthumb:

CHASMAN9 said:
Great wheelin out there. I went to school and at UNR and wheeled throughout the Reno to Truckee to south Lake Tahoe almost everyday. The Sierras were in my back yard and was way before MoonRocks was even being wheeled. We ran snowmobiles all the way up to Virginia city from 395 duting the winter. I was just curious. :dblthumb:

How did you end up back south greg??? I want to move to the reno area something awefull!! It would fit my lifestyle really well.

Well I'll put in my .02 here. Everyone I wheel with is all from south east texas and that mean we have to drive 6 hours to get to even almost decent wheeling. First day is usually more of a taking it easy day. We usually come across what we call our Saturday night/ sunday morning trails/lines and come back later to visit them. I carry a **** ton of spares but with a 3 or 4 day wheeling trip and always driving 6+ hours I'm usually pretty easy on it until it gets closer to time to put it on the trailer.

kushKrawlin said:
Ok , a lot of yall have been In the crawling scene much longer than me.. But in a group text full of morons, last night the conversation of rocwells came up.. It was brought to my attention that I baby my ****, (as if I didn't know) and would never need rocwells (thank god). See I was brought up to take care of my **** and keep it nice and it would last a long time... Not only that but when ya work hard To pay for a toy, why in gods name would one wanna go riding just to try to break an expensive part!?? I may be one of the few, but when I go ridin, I go for one reason... This being the reason sensei John G is my fav riding buddy. We can unload, kill pretty much every trail we attempt.. Ride for hours and hours, 1. We don't stop to talk every 5 seconds, 2. We don't try to break ****. We go to ride and ride some more. So can anyone explain to me the logic behind the second a person unloads, stomping the gas every time they press the pedal?? I have seen absolute hell raising when it was totally stupid and uncalled for... My thoughts are this.. As long as I'm making it up every trail, and only hammer it when needed, what kind of tard would I be to go balls to the wall for a hour or so and have to load up or work on my **** all dam weekend when I should be riding.. Hell I snapped my rear shaft last weekend and let me tell ya.. It waisted many hours of My riding time, not only that but OTHERS as well. I felt absolutely TERRIBLE!! and that's no lie. Also there were ZERO hot bitches running up to me telling me how cool I was, not one! Haha. . Was thankful I could fix it and not have to buy expensive parts. But when I see someone dam near destroy **** for no reason all I can think is , 1. That was stupid 2. Hope they have plenty of money.
See I'm not plow boy, or TC.. I don't wipe with 50's or have what seems to be unlimited funds... Am I the Minority here?? Surly most of yall don't go out to break **** you worked your ass off to pay for? If so please, please help me understand the thought process behind it.. Cause I'll be at the top of the trail looking down laughing. :flipoff1:

Is this an anti-rockwell, anti-driving style, class warfare, or just a complainer bitch hate thread? Because I can't tell. :flipoff1:

Do what you have fun doing. Don't bitch about other people doing the same so long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to do it.

You're too uptight. Smoke another one.

Mashing your motor is fun. Especially when you have a well-built rig that can take it.

patooyee said:
Is this an anti-rockwell, anti-driving style, class warfare, or just a complainer bitch hate thread? Because I can't tell. :flipoff1:

Do what you have fun doing. Don't bitch about other people doing the same so long as it doesn't interfere with your ability to do it.

You're too uptight. Smoke another one.

Mashing your motor is fun. Especially when you have a well-built rig that can take it.

:stir: :popcorn:

That's why he's building the Samurai.

My club is "Make it or Break it" and we usually live up to that name.

Me, I try the slow crawl attempt once maybe twice, then it's throttle down a driving it.

Some folks can't drive and can break their **** all to easily. There is a flenses technique about driving off road. Some people just don't get it or have it and never will. A method of using momentum and acceleration at the exact right timing or being able to see and pick out lines quickly. Feel what their rig is doing and know when to let off before **** starts breaking - if that's your limiting strap i.e. don't want to break it because its going to cost $$$. Our goal is to try and not break **** early on into our trips so we can make the most of it. Specially if its a three day trip a long distance away.

Skidkid said:
There is a finesse technique about driving off road. Some people just don't get it or have it and never will. A method of using momentum and acceleration at the exact right timing or being able to see and pick out lines quickly. Feel what their rig is doing and know when to let off before **** starts breaking\
MOST people don't have this. Like cutting grade in a machine, you use your ass and your senses to get it perfect. Some people don't have this seat/feet/hands/hearing sensors built into their bodies that know what the machine is telling them. Many also find it hard to make a machine do what they want on slick surfaces as they don't understand inertia and how the rig will react with given amounts of momentum, obstacles, what the tire will bounce over, what you throttle over safely, when to give it tiny little bursts of gas to keep things going but not break **** if the tires are leaving the ground etc. Hell most rzr guys I know can't tell you when its in 4x4 or not (it engages like a 1 way roller overrun clutch, so you can feel it in your seat when its in) even if they used to have crawlers and should know.
I would say very few people can tell what a machine is telling them from senses other than hearing and sight.