• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So, you have air tools..

I have a couple of the air die grinders from HF. They are both still kicking after about a year. The straight one has a 3/8" carbide bur in it permanently and the 90* has a scotch lock arbor. I use the 90* more than the straight and it is starting to get just a bit of play. I think my dry air and frequent oiling is what keeps that cheap crap alive. :redneck:

I've had my 90* die grinder with a 3" cutoff wheel on it (one of those mail-order deals where you buy 100 3" cutoff discs and get the grinder free!:awesomework: prettyy much the HF equivalent), and have been using it on a professional level for almost 18yrs now...Damn thing developed a wicked nasty bearing howl from about yr 2, and it sounded like it's gonna blow apart at any given moment....still goin'!
What oil? :redneck:

I have all snap on stuff, some MAC but mostly snap on. I keep breaking them, they keep replacing them.

you queer, your dad has all snap-on/mac stuff. you just get to use the almost dead ones he brings home :stirpot:

Cant wait to get my Snap-On 18v Cordless Impact Gun though, Those things are sweet. As far as hand tools go, The snap-on or mac trucks are the way to go, especially when they got semi used or repo'd ones for dirt cheap and still have thier warranty. For air tools though, Ive mostly used Snap-Ons and Macs. A couple of some crap house brand ones that made me cringe and throw them away shortly after trying to take lug nuts off. :mad: Im sure the HF ones will work fine, same with IR, for non everyday use.

Last edited:
I have used Snap-on tools for 30 years but I would not take a snap-on impact wrench if they gave it to me, IR are the best for every day use. Even my Snap-on dealer says they can't make a quality 1/2" gun. Their air ratchets are great and 3/8" impacts are good, everything else in my box is Snap-on.

I'll take a 3/8"dr composite IR over a snappy 3/8 impact anyday...And my old Snappy reps also said the same thing, can't make a decent 1/2dr gun to save their life....

Ingersoll rand for the decent price and durability.

Keep your eyes open and you can find them on sale.

I got my 1/2" drive impact and 3/8 ratchet with a set of impact sockets for around 175.

I'll take a 3/8"dr composite IR over a snappy 3/8 impact anyday...And my old Snappy reps also said the same thing, can't make a decent 1/2dr gun to save their life....

I'm happy with my Snap-On 1/2 in composite gun. I've had it for about 7 years now and it got used everyday at work for the first 2 years of it's life. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Well Kev, My oldest IR composite 1/2 gun is pushing 15 yrs old-and used everyday for over 14 of them---and it's still the one I grab when the others I own can't seem to get a Honda crank bolt loose...says somethin' right there! :awesomework:

I guess in a heavy equip shop we're a bit tougher on guns cause 15yrs is a unrealistic goal for me but my IR titanium is 6yrs old with only 1 rebuild which is a record for me. Tried the others and average 2yrs before they die.

i use a craftsman 1/2 pro series impact. great bang for your buck. all others are a mixture of old snap-on, IR's and cheapies. all work great for me. if i wrenched for a living then i would spend more money on them, i cant justify the spending the money on some tools if i only use them every so often.

Latest posts