• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

So, you have air tools..

hwcurtice

Which ones are better?

Right now all I have is a nailer, but I'm looking for something for wrenching and using a wire brush on.

Don't want crap. I'd hate to have to go and replace something over and over.

Also, because I won't be using these on a daily basis, which ones seem to 'sit' well?

In my opinion, air tools made by IR tend to be the best all around. Sears professional line are decent as well for less money than the IR's

Most of my air tools are Snap On, but I started out with Ingersoll Rand and never had an issue with them. I believe a lot of the Mac air tools are just re badged IRs, also.

You're going to want a big compressor for any air tool that runs continuously. Things like grinders & sanders need a ton of CFM. Check the CFM rating on the tools you want and shop for a compressor that exceeds the CFM by a good amount.

Die grinders and stuff I have no-name "who knows".... couple HF units, nothing special. Seem to get the job done but not the best. I hardly use them however and don't have much to compare them too. Keep them oiled.

Belive or not however, I recently bought my self an impact wrench that's worth a damn for my occasional use and not an arm and a leg. Harbor Freight's "Earthquake" 1/2 drive unit. The composite one. Web and Pirate reviews were favorable, so combined with a coupon and sale etc I bit the bullet and have been pleasantly surprised. Bang for buck seems to be really good. Ive have a couple "cheapys" in the past and they have all been crap, kept meaning to buy a "decent" (IR, Snap-on etc) some day but never could justify the $$ even for a 'good' used one. The HF one has exceeded my expectations to the point I even use and impact now for all sorts of things. I'm sure its not as good and a 'pro' model one, but for a garage user... I'm very happy.

My $0.015

I have a IR 1/2" Titanium, IR 3/8" composite, and IR 3/4" composite guns. Also, 2 IR die grinders, an IR needle gun, and IR air hammer. No complaints. Just keep them oiled.

My 1/2" is an IR231c, My ratchets are Matco which are rebadged IR's. All work awesome.

I have corded electric drills cuz air drills are wimpy and have no torque.

I have a corded electric grinder for wire brushes cuz an air grinder would suck mass air (making me listen to that noisy POS pump back up) and be a guttless dog.

I have corded electric Milwaukie impact cuz I hare listening to the air compressor and the loud ass IR impact I have.

Pretty much the only time I have to listen to that noisy ass deafening air compressor is if Im using the plazma or blowing off something or painting or filling a tire.

Im not sold on air tools for everything. Other than for an impact and a tire inflator and a nail gun they are not the "shizzy".

Just me tho.

Sounds like you need a compressor room, choppy.

My tools are a wide assortment from the big 3 tool trucks, and an assortment of IR mixed in. My IR airhammer has an inch long crack in the side of the body and still works like it's new. :redneck::cool:

Some of my home tools I cheaped out on, and haven't been let down with most of them. The BIG thing with any air tool, cheap ones especially, is to keep them well oiled, and make sure you've got a compressor to keep up with the tool. If your compressor is running full time to run the tool, it's making more heat, which makes more condensation/water, which essentially pressure washes the oil from the inside of the tool.

I have corded electric drills cuz air drills are wimpy and have no torque.

I have a corded electric grinder for wire brushes cuz an air grinder would suck mass air (making me listen to that noisy POS pump back up) and be a guttless dog.

I have corded electric Milwaukie impact cuz I hare listening to the air compressor and the loud ass IR impact I have.

Pretty much the only time I have to listen to that noisy ass deafening air compressor is if Im using the plazma or blowing off something or painting or filling a tire.

Im not sold on air tools for everything. Other than for an impact and a tire inflator and a nail gun they are not the "shizzy".

Just me tho.

When it comes to grinders I have Makitta's. My drill is also a Makitta. Air grinders just dont have the power. But impacts I like Air over electric.

I have been using cheap garbage impacts for about 15 years. Just over a year ago a buddy was getting out of wrenching for a living so I picked up a snap on 3/8" and 1/2" impact for $250 for the pair and I don't ever want to go back!

I have a decent compressor, 5hp 60 gallon that is ok but could use a rebuild this summer.

No matter the tool don't cheap out on the compressor and run the pressure high. A GOOD drier and either a good lube schedule or an inline oiler is imperative to a long life of the tools.

I have been using cheap garbage impacts for about 15 years. Just over a year ago a buddy was getting out of wrenching for a living so I picked up a snap on 3/8" and 1/2" impact for $250 for the pair and I don't ever want to go back!

I have a decent compressor, 5hp 60 gallon that is ok but could use a rebuild this summer.

No matter the tool don't cheap out on the compressor and run the pressure high. A GOOD drier and either a good lube schedule or an inline oiler is imperative to a long life of the tools.

I could have told ya that long ago :haha:

Yea but you didn't. :flipoff: Besides that I couldn't justify the recockulous cost of them new. When that deal came along I couldn't pull my cash out fast enough. :D

But remember its not any different when you use them daily to things you use daily.

I've got mostly IR stuff, but my 1/2" gun is a NitroCat 1200K, pretty kick ass unit especially for the price. I'm with Brad on the electric tools, only time my air grinder comes out is if I need to clean up gasket surfaces pretty much. Air drills suck ass and are loud, air grinders are gutless and noisy. I have a compressor room and still don't like listening to it if I don't have to.

IR titanium 1/2 inch and 3/8 impact
die grinders i use harbor freight, have 3 of them with different attachments there 9 bucks who cares if they break, haent yet for 2 years of hard unmaintained use.
air hammers HF it works great
Wrist breaking snap on impacting air rachet

Harbor freight is the **** **** craftsman junk. way better service at hf to!

IR titanium 1/2 inch and 3/8 impact
die grinders i use harbor freight, have 3 of them with different attachments there 9 bucks who cares if they break, haent yet for 2 years of hard unmaintained use.
air hammers HF it works great
Wrist breaking snap on impacting air rachet

Harbor freight is the **** **** craftsman junk. way better service at hf to!

My dad bought a HF 90degree grinder, (the $10 one) and it lasted all of a day and a half... Sofar the replacement has lasted a couple weekends. So I don't know if it was a defect, or not.

At work, I have 2 Mac grinders, (a straight, and a 90degree). I got them for $100 for the pair, and they work really well sofar, and I love them.

I have a couple of the air die grinders from HF. They are both still kicking after about a year. The straight one has a 3/8" carbide bur in it permanently and the 90* has a scotch lock arbor. I use the 90* more than the straight and it is starting to get just a bit of play. I think my dry air and frequent oiling is what keeps that cheap crap alive. :redneck:

I bought a HB die grinder. It still works, but does stop. Its a spare unit and bought it on sale for $5. Im not complaining.