• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

solid axle vs. straight axle

Dear group;
Straight axles were once used in the now defunct gasser class in drag racing. They were so named because they went straight across between the front tires without the customary drop, which is what lowered the front end to the ground. This is the reason why gassers always sat higher in the front than in the rear. Even with A arm front suspensions such as are found in later model gassers, the tradition of the raised front end continued right up till the end of the class. If I'm not mistaken Bell still makes the classic straight and drop axles for retro rods.

Solid axles refer to the type of front axle in 4 wheel drive vehicles. If the rig is equipped with a differential housing with axle tubes welded to either end and it is non-articulating, then it's said to be a solid axle. Also, this can apply to rear axles as well. The old Vettes used to have the rear axles attached to the differential via U-joints on the inboard and outboard ends. It was often mistakenly called a CV axle, probably in regards to similiarity to the VW type of rear axle setup.
Your friend;
LAMAR

Last edited:
Dear group;
OK, I found a pic of what's most generally considered to be the ULTIMATE gasser, the 1941 Willys Americar. The gasser in this photo is not a real gasser, rather it was built to resemble an old-school gasser. It has a POS 350 SBC motor and a fiberglass body. Overall, I think it is a nice looking ride.

Attachments

• 54_12.jpg
    54_12.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 66