• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Solid mounted body questions...

NotMatt

[EDIT]: I moved this out of Jonathan's thread and created its own so as not to clutter up his build thread with my silly questions. :D

So here's a question for crash or others who have hard mounted the tub to the body... did you leave the original body mounts in and just run tube from the tub to the frame, or did you remove the body mounts altogether and do something custom? This is a dillemma I will have when I get to working on the cage in mine...

Last edited:
Here is how I would do it matt..

Just remove the bushings and re-use the stock body mounts. then run plates/stringers at the cage mounts to the frame.. That gives plenty of strength. Plus you can also do the same thing with the rockers/stringers to the frame.

crash said:
Here is how I would do it matt..

Just remove the bushings and re-use the stock body mounts. then run plates/stringers at the cage mounts to the frame.. That gives plenty of strength. Plus you can also do the same thing with the rockers/stringers to the frame.

What kind of problems do you forsee if someone were to just leave the stock body mounts in place unmodified, and then solid mount the cage to the frame by sandwiching the tub between the lower stringers and the actual cage? I guess it's dependent on how many stringers and how much strength is built into the frame mount, but effectively the body mounts would then just be along for the ride and out of the picture really... but am I going to tear the tub apart or cause some kind of unforseen problem by doing this?

NotMatt said:
What kind of problems do you forsee if someone were to just leave the stock body mounts in place unmodified, and then solid mount the cage to the frame by sandwiching the tub between the lower stringers and the actual cage? I guess it's dependent on how many stringers and how much strength is built into the frame mount, but effectively the body mounts would then just be along for the ride and out of the picture really... but am I going to tear the tub apart or cause some kind of unforseen problem by doing this?

There is more flex between the frame/body than you probably would expect. your going to cause alot of fractures in the tub. a toyota will do the same thing and there frame is even more rigid than the jeep frames and a toyota will fracture after years of use and even faster with a stiff suspension.

But IMO your going to put too much stress around the sandwhiched plates. But then again I an very anal when it comes too---just about anything,lol (as jonathen has found out :D )..

crash said:
There is more flex between the frame/body than you probably would expect. your going to cause alot of fractures in the tub. a toyota will do the same thing and there frame is even more rigid than the jeep frames and a toyota will fracture after years of use and even faster with a stiff suspension.

But IMO your going to put too much stress around the sandwhiched plates. But then again I an very anal when it comes too---just about anything,lol (as jonathen has found out :D )..

Makes sense, that's kind of what I was thinking... the place where the plates would be sandwiched are not meant to be structural/body mount locations for the tub... so making them take all the brunt of the frame flex is going to be hard on the tub in those areas.

So you're saying remove the stock body mounts and replace with what? I was thinking about just removing the bushing portion and making up some solid replacements out of appropriately sized chunks of tube and re-using the bolts and such... but I'm open to any other ideas.

NotMatt said:
Makes sense, that's kind of what I was thinking... the place where the plates would be sandwiched are not meant to be structural/body mount locations for the tub... so making them take all the brunt of the frame flex is going to be hard on the tub in those areas.

So you're saying remove the stock body mounts and replace with what? I was thinking about just removing the bushing portion and making up some solid replacements out of appropriately sized chunks of tube and re-using the bolts and such... but I'm open to any other ideas.

You have the right idea matt :; . To do it perfect would to have some solid 1.5" round material bored for the apropriet bolt hole size...

No need to move this outa my thread matt as I had the same questions :D My idea was to replace the rubber bushing with a solid chunk of metal to keep the tube/frame gap the same, guess my idea is feasible. Then at that time I can mount my rocker protection to the frame along with the cage and body.

OldGreen said:
I've seen lots of people do it with solid aluminum FWIW. . .
Considering steel body and steel frame, wouldn't a UHMW Polyethylene puck be better? I'm sure Roger Brown would be willing to cut a few to whatever length you need.

skrause said:
Considering steel body and steel frame, wouldn't a UHMW Polyethylene puck be better? I'm sure Roger Brown would be willing to cut a few to whatever length you need.

iS THAT the VERY dense polly? Even so I would still hard mount it with steel.

crash said:
iS THAT the VERY dense polly? Even so I would still hard mount it with steel.
same stuff as the winch rope and fairleads. Ultra High Molecular Weight. Roger has been making body lift pucks with it for years.

I would be hesitant to replace with poly as well, because the ultimate point of this would be to make a solid connection between the frame and what will be left of the tub, for rigidity and simplicity in cage/tube work. No sense in replacing one bushing with another bushing, even if it is a bit more solid, it still has SOME give, which in my mind will lead to more stress on the points that actually ARE going to be solid between the frame and tub (rockers, cage plates sandwiching the tub, etc)

*sigh*... all this talk and me with no money to buy tube and get started. :mad:

start selling man juice, or selling yourself :flipoff:

I think more makes a body lift that uses aluminum pucks - not sure though. You could almost use that to replace the bushings, or have some steel pieces made.

NotMatt said:
I would be hesitant to replace with poly as well, because the ultimate point of this would be to make a solid connection between the frame and what will be left of the tub, for rigidity and simplicity in cage/tube work. No sense in replacing one bushing with another bushing, even if it is a bit more solid, it still has SOME give, which in my mind will lead to more stress on the points that actually ARE going to be solid between the frame and tub (rockers, cage plates sandwiching the tub, etc)

*sigh*... all this talk and me with no money to buy tube and get started. :mad:
Yes, but... does it really make a difference once you've transferred the load to the tube and away from teh stock mounts? I guess it really depends on how you do it, with what I picture in my mind you could just toss them alltogether.

Cascade_Crawler said:
start selling man juice, or selling yourself :flipoff:

I think more makes a body lift that uses aluminum pucks - not sure though. You could almost use that to replace the bushings, or have some steel pieces made.
Between those two, I'd go with steel. Dissimilar metals + moisture = accelerated corrosion.

Latest posts