• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Some questions for Machinist.

JOOP

I WON a COOKIE
Picked this up on a trade and some other stuff. What can you tell me about this lathe? Any good? Seems to be pretty good quality. Value?? Also it came with a bunch of accessories. I don't know what the 3 prong thing in the bucket does.

P1090368.jpg

P1090367.jpg

P1090366.jpg

Gold when you need the special bushing or something. Pretty light weight machine but nice to have in the shop.:redneck:

That 3 prong thing is a steady rest. If you have a long work piece it supports it out away from the chuck. You would need a indicator to make sure the workpiece is running true to use it. How about you sort out the tools in some sort of sembelance so we could pick apart your tooling.

Wait a minute, Why am i helping you after you talked **** about me?:kissmyass:

Ya but and youare right. With all of the goodies it is closer to a grand to $ 1200

But I will raise my offer to you to $60 :corn:

That 3 prong thing is a steady rest. If you have a long work piece it supports it out away from the chuck. You would need a indicator to make sure the workpiece is running true to use it. How about you sort out the tools in some sort of sembelance so we could pick apart your tooling.

Wait a minute, Why am i helping you after you talked **** about me?:kissmyass:

Hes right after looking at it again it could be used as a steady rest or follower rest. The follower rest is used to follow along for support on a long small in dia work piece.

Looks like you have a knurling tool and a adaptor for larger taper drills in there too. Spread everything out and take a pic.

P1090378.jpg

P1090377.jpg

P1090376.jpg

P1090375.jpg

P1090374.jpg

P1090373.jpg

How does the knurling tool work? I googled it, but all I could find is what it is, Not how to use it.

For the knurling tool its a touch/feel thing. You run it into the workpiece and hit the feed lever. Experience on feed per rev's and rpm's dictate the quality of knurl. There are different knurls so alot of times trial and error is whats called for. Is that a dial to the right with numbers on it? Its facing up.

WOW, lots of random **** in that box. Most all that stuff is hand ground tools for parting off, threading, and cutting. If you know what your doing you can hand grind a nice tool. I see some reamers, a drill chuck, and some stuff for the tail stock collet. The knurling tool is cool and yes you do need the "touch" to use it on a manual lathe. I used to have it when I was doing this stuff everyday.

I am bummed, I wish I had a little lathe like this.... some day.

Yeh I think I might keep this one for awhile. Who knows I might turn around and sell it or trade it for some crap later down the road.

This trade deal was definitely a trade-up for me. I got all that stuff, and a new compressor, and bluepoint tool box for a $60 investment and some elbow grease..:masturbanana[1]:

Thats a great deal man.

I dont know where it was that I saw it but a story of a guy that started with a paper clip and started to trade his way through life. It took him a few years but he was driving a new Porsche 911 at the end. Zero money. The last 10 or so trades were awesome!

Thats a great deal man.

I dont know where it was that I saw it but a story of a guy that started with a paper clip and started to trade his way through life. It took him a few years but he was driving a new Porsche 911 at the end. Zero money. The last 10 or so trades were awesome!

ill trade you a paper clip for your sex kitten..........:corn: