• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

some winch questions...

Dusten

I currently have(in my garage) a warn XD9000i. It was given to me by my father in law. He's a butcher, and uses them on his kill truck. Except he uses them to lift, so they die fast. He claims it needs solenoids. It also needs rope, as the cable is destroyed from sitting. And a remote.
I want to get a winch mounted on my 4runner. I dont wheel real hard core, but want that winch for security. Would it be worth my time to tear it down and fix it, or just buy something like this?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...8&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_pn=S/B97210

I've heard good things about the smittybilt. No one has any complaints other than line speed. My 4runner weighs about 5500, so i figured the 8K smittybilt wouldnt be big enough for it.

Ideas, suggestions? Am i way off base?

Fix the warn unit... PM CJ3B, he's with columbia river off road down in vancouver WA. He'll hook you up with a nice T-max solenoid unit that's sealed up nicely.

I currently have(in my garage) a warn XD9000i. It was given to me by my father in law. He's a butcher, and uses them on his kill truck. Except he uses them to lift, so they die fast. He claims it needs solenoids. It also needs rope, as the cable is destroyed from sitting. And a remote.
I want to get a winch mounted on my 4runner. I dont wheel real hard core, but want that winch for security. Would it be worth my time to tear it down and fix it, or just buy something like this?
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Winches-...8&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6426&t_pn=S/B97210

I've heard good things about the smittybilt. No one has any complaints other than line speed. My 4runner weighs about 5500, so i figured the 8K smittybilt wouldnt be big enough for it.

Ideas, suggestions? Am i way off base?
That Warns a pyle,and not worth fixin'!!!...I think you should donate it to the needy!!!:D (me!!!):haha:

Seriously though, although the Smitty is a good unit, that XD is twice the winch, and you'd be waaaay $ & satisfaction ahead fixing it....Fix the Warn!!!:awesomework:

Keep the Warn.

Replace the two pull in solenoids (ones with the small green wire attached to them).

Your good to go.

its going to need more than that, its been sitting. im going to tear it apart, and see what it needs. plus winch rope and whatever the controller costs. That is why i was looking at the smitty, after the time, and effort i wasnt sure where i would be.

and zukkev, there are more laying around, i just dont know what shape they are in

i really have no clue what plans my Father in law has for them. So, i cant commit to that, if he doesnt care if i haul them off, i will see what i can do. But, im keeping mine. :p

My bet would be the solenoids are probably fine, one of my Warn XD9's (the original version, 7th off the line) motor liked to get frozen after siting a few months and I used to have to take the end cap off the motor and unstick it from the end cap bushing. finally I put anti seize in the bushing instead of oil and now it works great every year.
I have yet to have a solenoid issue with the XD series. :;

Last edited:
My bet would be the solenoids are probably fine, one of my Warn XD9's (the original version, 7th off the line) motor liked to get frozen after siting a few months and I used to have to take the end cap off the motor and unstick it from the end cap bushing. finally I put anti seize in the bushing instead of oil and now it works great every year.

That's good to know !

these winches are used daily... and he has 4-5 failures, all identical.

So your gonna keep us in suspense or what?

Ok ill bite, what do they do wrong?:corn:

If it wont go forward and wont go reverse (like I was assuming), you would have had to have multiple solenoids fail at one time.

If you want to just go buy solenoids, go for it, there not cheap so you know.

So your gonna keep us in suspense or what?

Ok ill bite, what do they do wrong?:corn:

If it wont go forward and wont go reverse (like I was assuming), you would have had to have multiple solenoids fail at one time.

If you want to just go buy solenoids, go for it, there not cheap so you know.
hes saying these arent sitting around..getting stuck. that theyre used daily..so ur experience/example didnt really pertain to THESE failures....

seriously, CRASH, you need to start a reading comprehension section:rolleyes:

hes saying these arent sitting around..getting stuck. that theyre used daily..so ur experience/example didnt really pertain to THESE failures....

seriously, CRASH, you need to start a reading comprehension section:rolleyes:

That has yet to be proven, animal slaughtering in my experience is not a year round job for the people I have come accross.

I am wondering how you think Crash involved himself with this thread anyway.

I have close to 20 years of experience with 12 volt solenoid systems (and I realize you could really give a **** less about that), yes I know that winch solenoids will eventually fail like most any control circuit.

So when Dusten asks for ((his best options)) to chose from a "free" winch in need of repair that he seems unsure of, and takes the word of the provider of what is wrong v/s a cheaper off brand. I gave my most common failure and question the real problem.
Your right I must not comprehend the question.

That has yet to be proven, animal slaughtering in my experience is not a year round job for the people I have come accross.

I am wondering how you think Crash involved himself with this thread anyway.

I have close to 20 years of experience with 12 volt solenoid systems (and I realize you could really give a **** less about that), yes I know that winch solenoids will eventually fail like most any control circuit.

So when Dusten asks for ((his best options)) to chose from a "free" winch in need of repair that he seems unsure of, and takes the word of the provider of what is wrong v/s a cheaper off brand. I gave my most common failure and question the real problem.
Your right I must not comprehend the question.

well lets see... he salughters in spring for farms locally, including his own cattle(over 200 head we have), he slaughters all fall and early winter for hunting. The winch is contained inside the truck. And i personally havent tested anything to verify. Last winch that failed wouldnt go in anymore. you could still spool it out though.

well lets see... he salughters in spring for farms locally, including his own cattle(over 200 head WE have), he slaughters all fall and early winter for hunting. The winch is contained inside the truck. And i personally havent tested anything to verify. Last winch that failed wouldnt go in anymore. you could still spool it out though.

You Marry one little HOTTIE from Matlock now your some kind of Cattle rancher....give me a break.....lol :fawkdancesmiley:

:haha:

The suspense is over, whew

Yep sounds like a solenoid if that is the only symptom and the controller works, then I would get the exact model numbers off the Winch plug them into this site to get your part number. http://www.warn.com/truck/ReplacementParts/replacementparts.jsp

And call for a quote.
http://www.warn.com/corporate/authservicecenters.shtml

The last time my 12K had problems I took it to the Warn plant they updated some parts at no charge and fixed the winch for the cost of the broken replacement parts, took a while though.

Latest posts