• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spool in Toyota front axle?

fomoco365

I believe I broke the Powertrax locker in my front axle yesterday. I am wondering if I could run a spool in the front without snapping axles left and right?

Re: Re: Spool in Toyota front axle?

I'm runing a welded front,i broke a stock birf but upgraded to 30 spline longs and cromo hub gears but haven't had it out.to make the turning easyer you could leave one hub unlocked until you get on some rough stuff and then lock in the free hub.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: Spool in Toyota front axle?

30th6 said:
I'm runing a welded front,i broke a stock birf but upgraded to 30 spline longs and cromo hub gears but haven't had it out.to make the turning easyer you could leave one hub unlocked until you get on some rough stuff and then lock in the free hub.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
this^^^. especially with longs and assist, i wouldnt worry about it... matter of fact i would probably weld an open diff (im a tighwad!).

I beat on mine hard for two years with full hydro locked in the front with stock axles before I broke a birf, and yes the steering sucks but its worth it just to keep the hubs locked to not climb in and out.

mikepotts said:
this^^^. especially with longs and assist, i wouldnt worry about it... matter of fact i would probably weld an open diff (im a tighwad!).
yes you are and be sure you don't do like Potts done the other night to his dana60 rear diff ill let him say what he did :gay:

Well I would weld it up, but I don't have a stock diff. This is my first Toyota, and I don't have many spare parts readily available.

I did find a third member with a spool in the classifieds. I may see if I can get that to get me back up a going.

fordcontraption01 said:
yes you are and be sure you don't do like Potts done the other night to his dana60 rear diff ill let him say what he did :gay:
no biggie! im taking two rear 60's and using parts from both to make a good one, the housing i am using had a trac lock and was from a 79, the other one had an open which i welded so i could use it... after welding charlie mentioned to me he noticed it has coarse splines (evidently and earlier 60), so now the axle shafts from the 79 wont work with the carrier i have welded... BUT, ive already found a pile of early rear 60's at P.A.P. nashville where i will be next week, so i can get some shafts to match... when i regear (later) im gonna get a spool so i will get the proper one to work with the 79 shafts i will have on the shelf. :dblthumb:

I had to run spools in my yota axles. Busted EZ lockers. Then split the carrier in half and no the spiders werent welded to the carrier just each other. Spools were the only thing that would hold up. Usually much cheaper than a stock carrier too.

BUG-E J said:
I had to run spools in my yota axles. Busted EZ lockers. Then split the carrier in half and no the spiders werent welded to the carrier just each other. Spools were the only thing that would hold up. Usually much cheaper than a stock carrier too.
ive always welded mine fully to the carriers too.

I always heard that would heat the carrier and make it weaker or warp it. :dunno:

mikepotts said:
ive always welded mine fully to the carriers too.

I've welded a couple, heat it up slowly, weld a couple spider teeth togethor, on and off not to overheat anything, then weld spiders to carrier, do not overheat take time, then wrap in blanket and come back in a couple hours. Good as a spool and cheaper

BUG-E J said:
I always heard that would heat the carrier and make it weaker or warp it. :dunno:
maybe ive just had good luck... i usually just buzz it all till im done and let 'er eat! i actually had a 76 waggy with a 30 front 44 rear, i pulled the covers, clean with brake parts cleaner (not recommended) and welded them up in the housing! refilled with oil and wheeled the piss out of it! welded rockwells, ford 9", 7.5 and 8.8's... never did anything special, never had trouble with warpage or breakage... like i said though, maybe ive been lucky. you know the saying, "id rather be lucky than good". :dblthumb:

Well I finally got time to tear it down this afternoon, and it broke the cross pin. I am still thinking about going with a spool.

The shitty thing about welding a Toyota is that birfields and longfield are a wear item. When your welded, drivin around puts a LOT of wear on them. I got one of the first sets of chromoly longs back in the day and broke 6 or 7 of them running a Detroit, which is about the same as welded. Went to a selectable 3 years ago and have only broke 2 since and I drive a LOT harder than I use to.

My last yota rear axle was welded and I never had a problem with it. I pulled the third out about a year ago and the carrier bearing on the ring gear side fell right off.. so did I beat on it hard? maybe..
Now my front and rear are welded.. My buddy TIGed em up for me. I cut out some little square pieces of 3/16 plate to fit between all the spiders and weldered it on up.. Aint played with it yet but it should hold up pretty well..

I've welded atleast 3 dozen diffs for friends with drift cars and my own and I did all the spiders that way with the plate in there.. My last drift car was back in 2008, 92' 240sx. Had a built turbo 4cyl, it dynoed 412rwhp and 327rwtq at 6800rpms at 18lbs of boost.. I drifted about 20 events in the south east and never had a problem with my diff.. had 4.27 or some real low ratio like that and I kept her pegged at about 8-8500rpms all the time in second and third gear sideways as hell.