• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Spool in Toyota front axle?

Stu said:
The shitty thing about welding a Toyota is that birfields and longfield are a wear item. When your welded, drivin around puts a LOT of wear on them. I got one of the first sets of chromoly longs back in the day and broke 6 or 7 of them running a Detroit, which is about the same as welded. Went to a selectable 3 years ago and have only broke 2 since and I drive a LOT harder than I use to.
. Well running a Detroit its nothing like being welded, it unlocks without a load, a selectable locker (arb/ electric) are exactly like being welded. Selectable lockers only unlock when tuned off, but both wheels pull ALL the time when turned on.

I have run welded rear thirds for years with zero problems stock axles, did although break 2 r&p's and 1 rear axle. I run this setup for about 8 years , but never a problem with the carrier.
That being said, I recommend welding a rear but the front does have some wear items, and I don't like the thought of having them doing extra work when not needed.

Don't know how it is a wear item??? As mine is only a offroad rig not driven on the road but even with a welded diff, if you have it in 2wd and or the hubs unlocked nothing is spinning. But if your in 4wd your spinning on the wear items no matter what it is, open/ welded/ selectable/ etc...
I'm about to pull my lockrights out and weld my diffs up because they are slipping.

Birfields can get play in them on the inner star/cage/ balls to the bell from just basic metal to metal friction. . Cruising around without a load with a Detroit causes it to unlock allowing for the axle to act like a open carrier. Only under a load causes wear. Your Birfields feel the same strain you have turning a welded front end. Just my 2 cents anyway.

TBItoy said:
You'll break cross pins.

Completely welded case > mini spool

Yep. I tried one in the 9" in the rear of my Bronco. It lasted about 2 rides. I replaced it with a full spool and never had any more trouble.

just try one of those spools on e-bay for 99$ forget welding ! my old welded front held up well. I would keep running the locker with a new hardened pin! They help with turning radius and ease. Mine has held up well to my abuse and my goal everytime is ride harder till I break. If you go home in one peice you did not try hard enough! BUILD IT, RIDE IT, BREAK IT, FIX IT AND REPEAT hitit :spin:

fomoco365 said:
Well I would weld it up, but I don't have a stock diff. This is my first Toyota, and I don't have many spare parts readily available.

I did find a third member with a spool in the classifieds. I may see if I can get that to get me back up a going.

i have a Detroit you need :****: