• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

stac ? atlas ? dana 300 ?

crawlrjj

have a tj but looking too change transfercase ... on a buget but question is...witch case do you guys think ??? some say by the time you flip the 300 you can buy a atlas or stac???

Atlas all the way. Been on the market for awhile and backed by a very large company.

have a tj but looking too change transfercase ... on a buget but question is...witch case do you guys think ??? some say by the time you flip the 300 you can buy a atlas or stac???

It depends on what you are going to do. If you work it real hard, then you need to upgrade so many parts in the D300 it's not worthwhile. Flip kiit runs $500. Front output shaft upgrade runs you $500. Rear output shaft $500. $250 to rebuild it. 4:1 gears, $500. $2000 plus the original case, That's Atlas (or STaK, if that's your choice) kind of money, but you still have the 22 year old iron casting. Sure, those are large, round numbers, shop hard, do things yourself, do some research, you can save SOME money, but I would be really surprised if anyone got all those things done for less than $1500. Many flipped D-300s leak. Break things inside, and you may end up having to spend the money again. Breaking an aftermarket case is much more rare than breaking an upgraded D-300 case.

On the plus side, those things can be done in steps. For me, in my CJ-5, I will stay with the D-300. After 3 years of using the CJ-5, for my needs, 35" tires are enough. I do have a CJ10a project that will get an Atlas 4 speed. But it's going to be a whole 'nother kettle of fish, more juggy than Jeep.

But I collected parts for 3 years before I figured out what was right for the CJ-5.

How long have you been figuring out what you need? :beer:

I think you need to look at what you want and are going to do with your Jeep.
I have the STaK's box and it is great. Having the 3:05 and 5:44 to 1 ratio's is awesome. You run the higher low most of the time and then when you want to go slow you have the low low. Yes you can go with the Atlas 4 speed but that is a little too much unless your running a full comp rig.

It depends on what you are going to do. If you work it real hard, then you need to upgrade so many parts in the D300 it's not worthwhile. Flip kiit runs $500. Front output shaft upgrade runs you $500. Rear output shaft $500. $250 to rebuild it. 4:1 gears, $500. $2000 plus the original case, That's Atlas (or STaK, if that's your choice) kind of money, but you still have the 22 year old iron casting. Sure, those are large, round numbers, shop hard, do things yourself, do some research, you can save SOME money, but I would be really surprised if anyone got all those things done for less than $1500. Many flipped D-300s leak. Break things inside, and you may end up having to spend the money again. Breaking an aftermarket case is much more rare than breaking an upgraded D-300 case.

On the plus side, those things can be done in steps. For me, in my CJ-5, I will stay with the D-300. After 3 years of using the CJ-5, for my needs, 35" tires are enough. I do have a CJ10a project that will get an Atlas 4 speed. But it's going to be a whole 'nother kettle of fish, more juggy than Jeep.

But I collected parts for 3 years before I figured out what was right for the CJ-5.

How long have you been figuring out what you need? :beer:

I have flipped two and upgraded shafts for less then 1500. Ebay is your friend. A guy in poulsbo sells flip kits for less then 200. As far as the iron casting. If it's not cracked then it's fine. If it leaks, use double lipped seals. Call DD Machine in Poulsbo, and he will explain it to you.

you dont have to flip your 300 if you ever plan on changing out your front axle you could get a chevy front end. just another side of it. If i had the choice again i would go with an atlas over my 300 though

Atlas!!! I just bought mine and it was worth every penny. I ran a D300 in my cj5 and it was good for what its for. If you want to work your rig and have nothing in the back of your mind the atlas is the way to go. Stak is not an option IMO just cause they are the same price as an Atlas and they are the best. I never upgraded my D300 but I was gona put one in the buggy and do all the upgrades but it ended up being about 1700 bucks and that was only 800 shy for the atlas. If I yard sale my atlas on some trail and you do the same to your D300 the difference is my is covered and I dont spend a dime to get a new one. You on the other hand, after fixing or replacing it completely now could have bought an atlas with the money you have spent on a 20-30 year old POS jeep T case. This is just my take on the hole thing and this is why I own an Atlas and will never need to own anything else.

Atlas!!! I just bought mine and it was worth every penny. I ran a D300 in my cj5 and it was good for what its for. If you want to work your rig and have nothing in the back of your mind the atlas is the way to go. Stak is not an option IMO just cause they are the same price as an Atlas and they are the best. I never upgraded my D300 but I was gona put one in the buggy and do all the upgrades but it ended up being about 1700 bucks and that was only 800 shy for the atlas. If I yard sale my atlas on some trail and you do the same to your D300 the difference is my is covered and I dont spend a dime to get a new one. You on the other hand, after fixing or replacing it completely now could have bought an atlas with the money you have spent on a 20-30 year old POS jeep T case. This is just my take on the hole thing and this is why I own an Atlas and will never need to own anything else.

SO your saying if you blow up your atlas--you don't have to pay a dime?
Makes no sense--ever ahd to deal with a broken atlas :haha:

atlas its what I have and run , its the only choice in my book:;

I have done rigs with botht eh stak and atlas--and atlas all the way. Now granted if room or weight is an issue--300 with a stak case will hold up extreemly well.

SO your saying if you blow up your atlas--you don't have to pay a dime?
Makes no sense--ever ahd to deal with a broken atlas :haha:

Well personally I just got an atlas. I dont really want to brake it. I know they have a life time warranty unlike a home built D300. Im just saying you dont get the option if you build your own D300. Atlas is the deal. :awesomework:

A stock geared 300,even with stock outputs will take a tremendous amount of abuse....that just meens that ALL your reduction has to be in the diffs and that leads to other issues. IMO a 300 with a 4:1/32 spline outs is a time bomb till the case pops.

In the near future I'm going to purchase a pre-built Stack 300.

Well personally I just got an atlas. I dont really want to brake it. I know they have a life time warranty unlike a home built D300. Im just saying you dont get the option if you build your own D300. Atlas is the deal. :awesomework:

The life time warranty only covers the shafts and castings everything else is a 1 year from day it ships so by the time you start your car your 1 year warranty will be close to expired if not expired all together.

The life time warranty only covers the shafts and castings everything else is a 1 year from day it ships so by the time you start your car your 1 year warranty will be close to expired if not expired all together.

Have you broke an Atlas? :redneck:

I dont really care what this guy runs. Im just saying I wont be running a D300 even if I thought I couldnt afford an Atlas. The 300 will hold up to lots of banging but like Mauler said "time bomb" thats not what I wanted for my car. Plus all that added torque from the 4.1 on that factory case... but if you dont plan on wheelin it then if will hold up forever. :fawkdancesmiley:

Have you broke an Atlas? :redneck:

Yes and have fun with the shipping :redneck:

Don't get me wrong--if I had the coin and needed to upgrade the atlas is a great unit. But to base your purchase on "never worry about $$ to fix it" in anything related to wheeling is the wrong outlook--just sayin...