• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Starter getting weak?

Lucky Jeff

Usually when I've had a starter go bad, it just up and quits. My little 4 liter has been getting weaker and weaker on the start. Battery is showing the voltage it should. Alternator is fine and charging correctly. Can't see anything wrong with any of the cables, and I wouldn't imagine it being the cables anyway due to it getting weaker with every start. Is a new starter what I'm in need of?

The 460 in the tow rig was doin this last fall.......I went through and cleaned all the grounds and conections and replaced a couple cables that were suspect. Now it turns over,with authority, like the NO compression pig that it is.

I've had starters go bad like you describe on 4.0's though... over the course of a week or so it kept getting weaker and weaker, and finally gave up. Took it out and had it rebuilt at auto-electric, good as new.

I would have the battery load tested or swap it out with a known good first, and at least give your connections and terminals a good once-over too before dropping money on a new or rebuilt starter.

I will take all of the cables off and give em a good cleaning first. I would hope that the battery wouldn't be the problem, It's not even a year old. But it was just some POS I bought from Walmart, so it could be the issue. I'll check those two a little closer.. Thanks guys

Hey Jeff, noticed your in Bonney lake. I just bought a new fancy battery tester yesterday. If your down in the lakewood area I'll hook it up and check the battery for CCA's and load for free. Or if you want I could call the Boney Lake midas and tell them to check it for free, but they don't have a tester like I do.

I've had starters go bad like you describe on 4.0's though... over the course of a week or so it kept getting weaker and weaker, and finally gave up. Took it out and had it rebuilt at auto-electric, good as new.

I would have the battery load tested or swap it out with a known good first, and at least give your connections and terminals a good once-over too before dropping money on a new or rebuilt starter.

X-2...cover yer bases first....but I will also say I have had 4.0L starters fail just as you describe Jeff; My 89 was doing just this, and I knew the battery and all the cables were good, and charging output was good; voltage drops good....in fact I changed mine in Naches just for this reason...didn't want to have it not start up in the hills while hunting!!!

Hey Jeff, noticed your in Bonney lake. I just bought a new fancy battery tester yesterday. If your down in the lakewood area I'll hook it up and check the battery for CCA's and load for free. Or if you want I could call the Boney Lake midas and tell them to check it for free, but they don't have a tester like I do.

hmmm, Midas in Lakewood? That would work. What time do you leave? Could probably be there in an hour or so.. maybe a little more.

I think I might have to take you up on that since you're so close..

Thanks for the offer Joop! I need to ask you about some brake work for my little brothers RX7 anyways. I'll shoot you a PM.

The 460 in the tow rig was doin this last fall.......I went through and cleaned all the grounds and conections and replaced a couple cables that were suspect. Now it turns over,with authority, like the NO compression pig that it is.

9 times out of 10 the connections are the problem. Clean them very well and put some of that battery terminal protector spray crap on them. Don't forget the starter wires.

well, I hate to admit it.. Cleaned all of the connections and sprayed em with some stuff skinny pedal let me use (Thanks again for testing the battery and the spray Gavin!). Cranks just fine now.

well, I hate to admit it.. Cleaned all of the connections and sprayed em with some stuff skinny pedal let me use (Thanks again for testing the battery and the spray Gavin!). Cranks just fine now.

Glad to hear:awesomework: Its always nice when a fix cost nothing:cheer: