• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Getting Head

gdf

ROLL TIDE
I figured the tittle would get attention !!! Pros /cons to putting 5.3 stock heads on a 6.0 I heard they flow better and help build more compression !! Any truth to this

It is much more complicated than that.... 5.3s and 6.0s have the same heads more often than not... when you see some heads you are interested inn check the 3 digit casting # near the outside of the valve cover gasket rail. Plug these #s into google and see if they will help you. If they aren't 243s or 799s you are probably wasting your time imo

Im very interested in this as well, i have a 6.0 lq9 it is in a 03 silverado SS.

Is it worth it to swap heads??

I have the last parts from Texas speed on order should be here by next week... I've got it tore down cleaning her up. ..Brian is doing some tube work then ima try and get it fired up... I think they are 317's Iay be wrong but one of my motors has those heads

If you have a 6.0, I would look for a set of heads off a L92 or LS3.. They should have an 823 casting...Word is that not many aftermarket heads flow as well as they do right out of the box

fl-krawler said:
If you have a 6.0, I would look for a set of heads off a L92 or LS3.. They should have an 823 casting...Word is that not many aftermarket heads flow as well as they do right out of the box

This is true, but they require a new intake manifold, drop compression, and kill bottom end torque

Will springs valves... All the internals work in between the heads or do I have to buy specific valve for the LS3 heads ?

gdf said:
Will springs valves... All the internals work in between the heads or do I have to buy specific valve for the LS3 heads ?

I feel like no one is listening! Ls3s & L92s are A LOT different! There is nothing cheap about that swap. $1000 +

I am asking because I already have aftermarket springs push rods and rockers in the stock 5.3 heads... I'm just trying to find out if I can buy a set of $600 dollar heads and put my stuff in or if I have to buy a complete set... This ain't a stock 6.0 that's getting done on the cheap .. Just trying to cover everything before I drop this new motor in my buggy

Elliott said:
Have you actually built these and ran them, or are you going by what you read?

Pushrods and springs are reusable. The valves are the same size between the l92s & the ls3s, but true ls3 heads have sodium filled intake valves to reduce weight. If you make over 450hp & aren't on a tight budget I wouldn't mess with stock heads anyways. You will like the overall performamce of the cathedral port (stock 5.3/6.0) heads better for a trail rig than the higher rpm horsepower of the rectangle port ls3 or l92s