• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Starter Problems

Rubigoddess

So, about six months ago my jeep started having probs when I'd start it. Every once in a while it would just sit there and spin. I would back off, try again, and it would start right up.

I had a friend come listen it to it today and he thinks that its just a new starter I need. However, another friend listened to it and he's not entirely convinced its the starter at all.

Have any of you had any problems with a TJ Starter? I would love to get it fixed, but dont wanna swap out the starter if thats not the prob.

What do you mean by the phrase "just spins"? Is that a vrrrrrrrrrr noise as the starter turns, but isn't engaging the engine (flywheel/flexplate)?

Well then, it sounds (haha, like a video monitor letters have a sound) like your starter drive (aka bendex) is not engaging the flexplate/flywheel. This can be a variety of reasons, from a insufficient battery not turning the starter fast enough to spin the starter drive into the flexplate, to a bad starter and/or bendex, to a bad grouping of teeth on the flexplate/flywheel that are not engaging the starter drive as it's spinning.

As a general rule, I'd just throw a new starter on it, and see what happens. Starters aren't particularly expensive, and are relatively accessable on most rigs (except a Toy 3.0L thru the damn fenderwell)

t

Make sure it's not just loose. Seen it a few times on Toyotas and Jeeps alike. It may be trying to escape. :haha:

Nah, i checked that. Its nice and tight in there. I guess I'll just buy the starter, its only a hundred bucks and see if that fixes it.

One other quick check before you spend money, are your battery cables and the line from battery to starter clean and tight? Yank them off the battery and hit them with a wire brush, corrosion can stop enough amperage from getting to the starter and can cause issues.

Nah, i checked that. Its nice and tight in there. I guess I'll just buy the starter, its only a hundred bucks and see if that fixes it.

While you have it removed, look at the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel where the starter engages. If you are able to, slowly turn the motor over by hand until you have completely inspected the entire gear for missing and or badly chipped teeth. If the teeth on the flexplate/flywheel are missing and or badly chipped it can prevent the starter from easily engaging the drive. Sometimes minor damage can be repaired with some selective filing without removal thru the starter location.

Latest posts