• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

starting my gotpropane install help

So got my a/f gauge and didnt like it and the reviews sucked,so it was returned.Any recommandations on some wideband a/f gauges?

Finally got the call my heads are done :D, (only took 3 months):mad: Question is when I took them off, the head gaskets were a thin metal shim style not paper or composite etc. is there any down sides to these or not-I looked up the part# that was stamped on the gaskets and there discontinued:eeek:Any input guys? 1979 sbc block--seems there is tons of sbc head gaskets to choose from. Hopefully will start putting this back together starting tomorrow-pics to follow.

Also me and a buddy were talking, would there be any effect on the system if a put in a tee with a regulator and run a quick disconnect for a bbq stub on my bumper?Would be nice to have a nice porterhouse or t-bone on the trail. Would be funny for the rig behind me to be smelling a good steak cooking while on the trails:haha:

Also me and a buddy were talking, would there be any effect on the system if a put in a tee with a regulator and run a quick disconnect for a bbq stub on my bumper?Would be nice to have a nice porterhouse or t-bone on the trail. Would be funny for the rig behind me to be smelling a good steak cooking while on the trails:haha:

You can't tee into the line since you are running liquid to the engine. Your tank may have another connection for vapor that you could run a BBQ off of.

You can't tee into the line since you are running liquid to the engine. Your tank may have another connection for vapor that you could run a BBQ off of.

If you really wanted to you could run a tee after the regulator and do it, rig would have to be running though. After the regulator its 100% vapor. Like chad said above there will be a vapor line on your tank you could pull off of.

If you replace the valve seats. Go with hardened valve seats. Since propane enters the motor at 100 percent vapor it hammers them. I didn't do it on mine but from all the aussie and new zeland alt fuel forums, that is the number one thing they suggest . They have good tech on their forums.

fwiw: seats are all hardened in the us since the early 70's... in az/nz i belive you can still get leaded , so not allways the case...

Thats what I was getting at ,was running it off the vapor connection.:awesomework: As far as the head gasket I having trouble cross-referencing it, can anyone help, its stamped gm 462691? :beer:

Just posted it in your other thread but the new part number for that head gasket is 10105117. Should be $20.70 each:awesomework:

So got the right head gaskets and prepped the block,tapped all the holes,etc, but didnt get nowhere as far as wanted:mad: Installed my mojave heater first,went sweet -- Sucks when working on 2 rigs at once--Helped dad install new arb rocker switches and a panel over the stereo cutout in the dash.Had the old style arb switch and toggle.Called up arb and the guys said to come on down and they hooked us up big time:awesomework::awesomework: All free rocker switches and some repair line and fittings that got hurt from a branch that got into somewhere it shouldnt have.The guys at ARB ****in rock. Even wired it up,seeing it was different than what was in there before.Cant wait till I can afford some ARB`s ---So out again early tomorrow to finish installing the heads andd top end.Not sure if i will get the pane installed quit yet,as there is a trip over to liberty on the 10th that I want to go on.Which means re-installing the gas tank:mad:More pics tomorrow. Dads 77 cj5 w/ fuel injected 401 thats .40 over,this jeep ****in hammers down like nobodys business- the color is matched to his 97 f250-they look pretty going down the highway

Last edited:
Got everything put back together except for the rocker arms,valve adjustments and timing, also forgot to pick up new valve cover gaskets, so tomorrow will pick up a set---took pics but left the camera at the shop so tomorrow will post the rest.Still am up in the air as to installing the propane as the liberty trip is on the weekend of the 12th-Dont know if I can get it all dialed in by then

Getting close-- the lines are run from the tank (all inside the rig)and the vaporizer is mounted with coolant lines ran to it! So got the rockers put on,valve cover gaskets, etc, still need to weld in the bung for the 02 sensor, adjust valves,install the a/f gauge and set the timing-which I suck at-Have never had good luck with it for some dumb-ass reason,also have a re-curve kit for the dizzy too.Is there any shops around that are good at tuning propane?

Any shops in the covington/ blk diamond area that can weld the 02 bung in my exhaust, and any shops good at tuning propane?:beer: