• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Starts BUT wont turn off?

WinchBunny

Sooo...the jeep I just got started up fine by turning the ignition on when i loaded an unloaded it off the trailer...BUT! later that afternoon I went to start it up...an nothing? just click an the dash lights lit up..sooo I said ok, more than one way to skin a cat, bypassed the solenoid nex tot the battery...and VROOM! she started right up...now ok great, went to turn it of...nothing...she kept on running, ended up having to disconnect the alt to kill the engine. So I tryed replacing the ignition switch, an still same thing. sooo? any ideas....infact! I dont have to have the key in the on possition for it to start like that either.....:mad: atleast she runs...LOL:;

The wires, duh!:fawkdancesmiley:

take one of the wires that goes to your distributor and run a toggle switch to it inside the cab or a "secret location"... there ya go....

hey..its a beat up XJ..Who cares how janky it is!! bet there's some buggies on here that are worse off then that:fawkdancesmiley:

The altenator is back feeding the ignition. You can put a diode (only let's current flow one way, radio shack has them for about 3 bucks) in the wire at the altenator that gets hot when you turn the ignition on and it will shut off for you. Make sure you put the diode in the right direction though.

Ok...so progress was made, havent gotten to pick up the new solenoid...BUT! it will now only start if the ignition is on an it will turn off from from the key:redneck:...someone somewhere along the lines had the 2 wires on top of the solenoid switched around:looser:...so the one that should have been for the ignition had the one for the coil on it an visa versa:mad: