• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

State Regs for Fender Flares & Mud Flaps?

Alan

Broken on Backdoor
Hi All:

O.K. - so what are the Washington State rules and regulations for fender flares and mud flaps on 4x4s?

Is it a situation of either covering the tires with flares, *or* using mud flaps?

Thanks for any help clarifying the situation!

Alan

There should be a sticky with all the Regs in it.... Seriously....people SHOULD be able to readily see this stuff...:stirpot::corn:

Hi All:

Thanks for the links guys!

I've been running my FJ40 for ten years without either flares or flaps, but I recently installed some 1.5 inch wheel spacers on the rear axle and I'm concerned that the rear tire exposure has become way to obvious to ignore.

Think that just rear fender flares would be adequate?

Thanks!

Alan

rules!?#*%

:rolleyes:So, if I'm understanding the writing corectly. All these home made, or store bot EXTENDED bumpers, that EXTENED past the ORIGINAL line, ARE FLOCKIN BRAKIN THE RULZ :kissmybutt:..

Maximum Heights - *Bumper (4.5" min. width)

* GVWR 7501 and up = Front 28" & Rear 30"
* GVWR 4501 - 7,500 = Front 27" & Rear 29"
* GVWR 4500 and under = Front 24" & Rear 26"
* Car = Rear 22" & Rear 22"

*(Measured from ground to the bottom of bumper) WAC 204-10-022

So if this is true, how do people get away with >30" tall bumpers? You know, the super lifted full size trucks: 35+" tires with 4-8" of lift?

I plan on installing a 6" lift and running 35s... Pretty damn sure that my rear bumper's gonna be a little bit taller than 29."

How do I get around this dilemma?

How do I get around this dilemma?

I was stopped by the WSP last thursday and given a talking too, no ticket, but he said they were going to start cracking down on mud flaps and bumper heights. Since then driving between Seattle and everett twice a day I have been seeing lifted trucks getting pulled over.

I am going to put big removable mud flaps on my Grand Cherokee and hope that distracts from the bumper height which is 30 inches on my rig. Only time will tell.

Also I ask why the rule on bumper height and he stated because a car hitting you from the rear would slide up under the rig. I told him "GOOD" they will get what they deserve if they hit me in the rear then. He kind of chuckled, but did not comment.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:So, if I'm understanding the writing corectly. All these home made, or store bot EXTENDED bumpers, that EXTENED past the ORIGINAL line, ARE FLOCKIN BRAKIN THE RULZ :kissmybutt:..

Yup, Unless its DOT approved you are breaking the rules. It's a matter of crash test rating... Bull IMO because a tube/plate bumper is a hole lot safer then the tin bumpers most of us started out with. ARB is legal... :D

You don't. Just don't do nothin' stupid to get pulled over :redneck:

I can't say that I've ever heard of anyone being pulled over due to bumper height alone.
I did back in the 80s with my Toyota. But the rear bumper was 41" to the bottom

He didn't give me a ticket

Latest posts