• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steel types and strength comparison

jccarter1

I am looking to build another set of H1 wheels and I will start by saying I love H1s easy to break down, don't have to worry about cut beads and they don't leak the problem is I have built 3 sets of h1s and bent 2 sets the only centers that I have had luck with is the pressed 8 lug center but the new set is going to be for Rockwell so I can't find any pressed centers I bent 1/4 gusseted centers in one ride and have bent 3/8 flat centers. I am sure all these were made from some A-32 hot rolled steel I wonder if a set of 5/16 AR-400 gusseted centers would hold up better to the bending force that they see and hopefully save a little weight. From what I could find on the interwebs a-32 has tensile strength 58,000-89,000 psi and ar-400 tensile is 177,000-192,000 psi there any engineer type of people that could confirm my thinking on this????????

I was actually going to suggest AR400 or 500 (or one of the other brand names like "Hardox"), because there are plenty of people already buying sheets and cutting targets from 3/8", so getting some wheel centers made shouldn't be a huge deal.

Typically AR grades are not going to have their yield/tensile listed on the MTR/certs.

Yes, they obviously have a yield and tensile strength, but because of what they are intended for, US mills arent in the habit of performing these tests.

One thing to consider with AR400/500 is your HAZ during processing.

I might suggest trying T1/A514....that will more than triple the tensile of A-36 and will probably be a few bucks per pound cheaper than AR500.....probably similarly priced to AR400.

Regardless, what kinda plate size are you looking for? I may have a drop laying around (various grades) that might work for your needs.

(I sell steel plate)

This is the info I was looking for...... Do you think haz would be that big a problem? And I say that bc how much weld surface area there would be, I understand I would want to use low hydrogen consumables I assume. Where are you located at with your steel business I was looking at getting a vendor to cut them out for me but if you have the ability to do it I would be interested in a price

Re: Steel types and strength comparison

I wouldn't think the HAZ would be big enough to cause problems. Welding will definitely change the material up some, but when you are starting with material that hard I would think strength wouldn't become an issue. I'm not an engineer btw. Just a welder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I was getting at was that if you are paying for the AR-grade material, you are paying for the heattreating and abrasion resistance.

Depending on the size/shape of the part and the method of cutting that you are using, you are running the possibility of creating a HAZ that will effectively change the properties of the steel.

Point being, higher yield/tensile ratings are found in other grades that are cheaper than the AR-grades.

Re:

I made my skid plate from AR 400, it will break before it bends I believe!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Find yourself a set of original rockwell rims and cut your centers out of them. They are pressed. I had 3/8 flat one on my first set and bent the crap out of them so I made a set out of the old rockwell rims 6 years now and still straight.

AR plate gets brittle where it's welded or cut with heat, and abrasion resistant doesn't equal stronger, it equals abrasion resistant. Flat centers bend because they're flat not because of the material. That's way all manufactured wheels have stamped centers. Forming the steel gives it strength, if you can't stamp out a center(most people can't) gussets and proper weld placement should hold a it straight.

Re: Re: Steel types and strength comparison

AdamF said:
AR plate gets brittle where it's welded or cut with heat, and abrasion resistant doesn't equal stronger, it equals abrasion resistant. Flat centers bend because they're flat not because of the material. That's way all manufactured wheels have stamped centers. Forming the steel gives it strength, if you can't stamp out a center(most people can't) gussets and proper weld placement should hold a it straight.

Think about it and that's only partially accurate.

Yes forming/pressing the wheel centers makes them stronger vs flat,, but using stronger steel (higher yield and tensile strength vs regular ol A36 hot roll plate) is going to be stronger than the same shape.

After more research I agree that AR plate should probably not be ideal for wheel centers,

Something like A514 (Domex 100 or xt100) that is 100ksi yield and still weldable would be a good choice.

Re: Re: Steel types and strength comparison

TBItoy said:
Think about it and that's only partially accurate.

Yes forming/pressing the wheel centers makes them stronger vs flat,, but using stronger steel (higher yield and tensile strength vs regular ol A36 hot roll plate) is going to be stronger than the same shape.

After more research I agree that AR plate should probably not be ideal for wheel centers,

Something like A514 (Domex 100 or xt100) that is 100ksi yield and still weldable would be a good choice.
That's right, apples to apples formed/pressed is stronger. That and AR shouldn't be used for wheel centers were the two points I was going for, but I suck at communication :****: