• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering questions

Wildman1

I need to make some more space under the front of my Jeep. Currently I have the Hydro-assist ram attached to the diff cover on the swapped in HP44 axle. The axle is Waggy width. So I am woundering if I can move the hydro cylinder to attach on the pass side. But to do so I would have to put the cylinder parallel with the lower edge of the axle tube. I know I could build a skid for the cylinder but what about the shaft?

I am wanting to do this because I need a suckdown winch on the front. I have been toying with making a bracket to mount the winch to the axle tube. And if I don't then I need to mount it under the front of the Jeep some where.

So ideas, comments, suggestions?

Here is what it looks like now.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0812.jpg

IMGP0970.jpg

Rick, Have you had any issues with your diff cover coming loose from the ram? I was thinking about doing the same thing then I heard warnings of the cover coming loose from the ram pushing and pulling on it.

I'm full hydro with the ram mounted to the diff cover, no isues so far.

In your situation I'd turn the ram around 180* and move it farther towards the passenger side so all you'd have to do in order to get the diff cover off is to turn right and the rod will retract back inside.

Why don't you just use your existing winch for the suck down winch?

You can guide the rope back using tubes to slide it over.

I am willing to bet no matter what the winch is too far forward unless you can get the rope to feed out behind the winch. Thats my issue with trying to use my winch to suck the front down

X2

Use tube or pulleys to guide the winch to the axle. That is what I did on my old TJ. Worked fine.

Rick, Have you had any issues with your diff cover coming loose from the ram? I was thinking about doing the same thing then I heard warnings of the cover coming loose from the ram pushing and pulling on it.

Jim,
Some of my bolts came loose right after I installed the ram but I used locktite the next time and they have stayed tight since. The Purple Cranium cover helps too with the recessed bolts.

I'm full hydro with the ram mounted to the diff cover, no isues so far.

In your situation I'd turn the ram around 180* and move it farther towards the passenger side so all you'd have to do in order to get the diff cover off is to turn right and the rod will retract back inside.

I tried that before but with the trackbar bracket and then making room for the air bags I had issues getting the ram mounted. That is why I am asking about mounting it down low and then make a skid. The only thing I am worried about is the shaft getting dings on it.

I am willing to bet no matter what the winch is too far forward unless you can get the rope to feed out behind the winch. Thats my issue with trying to use my winch to suck the front down

I agree Crash which is why I got a suckdown winch just need to figure out how to make it fit.

With rope could this be an issue? I have seen it done with cable but am worried because I have rope.

If rope is sliding over a smooth surface you will have no problems. Just make sure its smooth, Maybee add a spring/pully to keep tension on the rope so it doesnt go to bad places??

If you are dead set on moving it I'd just flip it down lower on the diff cover, that would leave a lot of room for a small winch to go where the ram is now.

Although I'd be more worried about that bent tie rod end... :D

With rope could this be an issue? I have seen it done with cable but am worried because I have rope.

Its actually better with rope, it won't cut through the tube.

I've done it on a couple rigs personally with no issue. I don't even run a fair lead normally just round tube nicely welded and smoothed out.

another thing I've seen, several comp rigs run a winch rope through a tube with bends in it to their diff, so anything is possible.

IMO adding another winch in the front is just being overly complicated and adding unneeded weight and wiring.

If you are dead set on moving it I'd just flip it down lower on the diff cover, that would leave a lot of room for a small winch to go where the ram is now.

Although I'd be more worried about that bent tie rod end... :D

Bent WHAT???? I am not set on moving it was more looking for ideas. I am having clearance issues which was one of the reasons I was thinking about moving it. I had thought about putting the winch on the axle or making a mount for it above the axle with a straighter pull.

Its actually better with rope, it won't cut through the tube.

I've done it on a couple rigs personally with no issue. I don't even run a fair lead normally just round tube nicely welded and smoothed out.

another thing I've seen, several comp rigs run a winch rope through a tube with bends in it to their diff, so anything is possible.

IMO adding another winch in the front is just being overly complicated and adding unneeded weight and wiring.

I will have to look at it all again and maybe figure out how to but a small pulley (snatch block) to gide and route the rope.

As for adding a small winch I really don't see am issue with that either since I already am pushing 5300lbs so 50 more won't break me.