• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering tech....

Draco

On this new buggy, it takes about 120 turns lock to lock....Not really, but it seems like a LOT. It's no where near fast enough. What do I do to change it? There's no sticker that I've found on the orbital to tell me what it is.

Do I need to replace the orbital or is there a "gear reduction" I can get for it?

If I replace the orbital....
Looking at PSC's web site, with their math, all 3 of the orbitals are 16 turns lock to lock.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/full-hydraulic-steering?cat=469

"The displacement of the valve divided into the steering cylinder volume will determine the required turns of the steering wheel to turn the steering axle full lock to lock."
156cc/9.7 cubic inch displacement. = 16.08
120cc/7.3 cubic inch displacement. = 16.43
185cc/11.3 cubic inch displacement. = 16.37

I've got rear steer. It's on a separate system though, I shouldn't be robbing fluid.
I may have screwed up the math....But I'm pretty much lost. ::)

Went out and messed with it again today. I guess after riding, it setting, running it again, it finally burped. Had a **** load of pressure on the cap. It's getting better....Way better. About 6 turns lock to lock now. Fluid level dropped a good bit, about 1/2 of the reservoir level.

Guess I'm too impatient.

Draco said:
On this new buggy, it takes about 120 turns lock to lock....Not really, but it seems like a LOT. It's no where near fast enough. What do I do to change it? There's no sticker that I've found on the orbital to tell me what it is.

Do I need to replace the orbital or is there a "gear reduction" I can get for it?

If I replace the orbital....
Looking at PSC's web site, with their math, all 3 of the orbitals are 16 turns lock to lock.
http://www.pscmotorsports.com/motorsport-specific-products/offroad/full-hydraulic-steering?cat=469

"The displacement of the valve divided into the steering cylinder volume will determine the required turns of the steering wheel to turn the steering axle full lock to lock."
156cc/9.7 cubic inch displacement. = 16.08
120cc/7.3 cubic inch displacement. = 16.43
185cc/11.3 cubic inch displacement. = 16.37

I've got rear steer. It's on a separate system though, I shouldn't be robbing fluid.
I may have screwed up the math....But I'm pretty much lost. ::)

cc = cubic centimeters
cubic inch =/= cubic centimeter

Convert your units and the math will work.

what size ram do you have?

email me and i'll send you a copy of my full hydro steering comparison spreadsheet.

Attachments

• Hyd Ram Chart.PNG
    Hyd Ram Chart.PNG
    100.4 KB · Views: 102
I also have a steering issue with my truggy, I have put an 92 tbi 350 w/ factory steering pump, a brand new orbital that I bought off ebay but the only specs I can remember are 7.56 cid. my problem is while trail ridding, it is slow and hesitates. if I crawl while turning, I have to either plan ahead, or rev it up. what am I doing wrong?

Lateniteproductions my LT1 motor was this exact same way, I put new motor (LS swap) in with new psc pump and it completely changed how mine acted. No more revving up or planning ahead. The steering is still slow which can be fixed with a faster orbital but it is a night and day difference just having a good pump. I say you need to move more fluid.