• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Steering valve (orbital valve) question

NotMatt

So I have a Parker Hydraguide steering valve model HGF16423 that I got from someone on here in a trade. According to Parker's catalog, this should be a 6.6 cubic inch valve, reversing (return to center, I assume?) with a power beyond port.

I plan on running a 2x8 ram with a 1.125" or 1.25" cylinder size. Is there an easy way to figure out how many turns lock to lock I will get with this setup? If I'm doing it right, PBB's calculator says a 2x8 1.125" ram should need about 5.9 ci to get just under 3 turns lock to lock... but like I said, I'm not sure if I'm entering all the numbers right and this stuff is new to me. Is the valve too much, too little... right in the ballpark?

Next question... power beyond. What do I do with this? I'm assuming this would normally be used to power a rear steer valve, but since I'm not running rear steer... plumb it back into the return with a T, before the cooler? PBB says so, but I'm confused... how much pressure is going to be routed through the power beyond port when I'm not turning the front wheels? I'm guessing no more than the regular return line from the valve, correct?

Hopefully somebody can clarify my noob questions on hydro. :redneck:

I wouldn't worry about the lock to lock... I spent some time going over the numbers and don't even care now... Unless you're building something that you're gonna race...

As far as the power beyond... I've got a buddy that tried a few things and it never worked right... You could hook it up either way and it could work, until you get the rpm's up and the pressure builds in the system and it locks up... This happened to my buddies set up... He fought it for a while, then finally got a simple 4 port valve and hasn't looked back...

I guess I'll just have to try it and see. My worry is that the power beyond port is going to be dumping out at a higher pressure than the return on the steering valve when I'm not turning the wheels, which means I'll end up with higher than normal pressures running through my cooler and resevoir... or am I completely off track here?

On one hand, it seems like it shouldn't matter... the power beyond is just a replacement for the internal center relief to the return line, but on the other hand... I would figure the return line pressures are going to be lower than what would be needed to "power" anything "beyond", which means the power beyond port is going to screw up my return line pressure.

Maybe my whole understanding of the hydraulic system is out of whack... somebody with some experience whack me on the head with a clue?

I'm going to give Parker a call and see if they can give me any clues here. I can't tell based on the part number or their catalog whether this valve is "open center" or "closed center" when the power beyond port is blocked off. My understanding is that most power beyond steering valves are open center with the PB port blocked, but I don't want to risk burning up my pump to find out.

Essentially if the valve is "closed center", then the power beyond port needs to be plumbed back into the tank, if it's "open center" then the power beyond port can just be capped off.

[EDIT]: Ok, It sounds like in general, power beyond valves are open center and require a special plug inserted into the side to be converted to closed center, which effectively disables the power beyond port and would then act as a normal closed center valve and burn my pump up in a matter of minutes. Yay.

I e-mailed Parker for more details on how I can tell if this has been converted or if it's a normal open center, and will post their response once I get it.

I think your going to need a bigger orbital , I had a 7.? and it was 6 turns lock to lock with a slightly bigger ram .

i have also seen a guy plumb the power beyond wrong and blow up the pump can

I'm running a Char-Lynn 241-1004, open center, non load reactive, 7.3 c.i. displacement with a 2x8 single ended... I'm 3 turns one way and 3.75 the other... I don't even notice that it's a little more the other way, can't even remember which direction takes more...

You will notice that you'll constantly be correcting in one direction on dirt roads with an unbalanced system... But you get used to it and don't even realize it after a bit...

I've got a bunch of links for valve specs on the Danfoss and Char-lynn if the 5 port doesn't work out for you... I just kept running serial numbers on all the valves I checked out until I found one that would work for cheap...

Also got all my lines from Williams in Tacoma... I'm using the field fittings so I can repair lines on the trail if need be... I've got buddies that are now running the same, so we can swap **** back and forth to get off of the trail...

Same goes for the propane systems... Everyone using the same rebuildable fittings...