• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

"Straight drive or HERO"

DUNCAN74

Fixing to bite the bullet on one or the other. Just want the pros and cons on them I know its probably been talked about already but things change. I don't do much trail riding but may start later really like the racing thing right now. So let me have it.

DUNCAN74 said:
Fixing to bite the bullet on one or the other. Just want the pros and cons on them I know its probably been talked about already but things change. I don't do much trail riding but may start later really like the racing thing right now. So let me have it.
IMO I would do a hero in your buggy. Cost a little more but you have more options.

al1tonyota said:
IMO I would do a hero in your buggy. Cost a little more but you have more options.

Got to agree with adam on this! If you wete building a new rig just to hill kill, it would be different. Seams a hero would go back in place with less rework??

The SCS that I had was huge you would have to build a buggy around it, and the rear axle would have to be offset to one side, I think Bobby Tanner runs a mud truck case in his that doesn't require the rear axle to be offset, but I have no idea what case it is.

I went with a cyclone straight drive it's not loud to me I can only hear it at very high speeds . But if I had to do it over again I would go with a hero just because of the availability of a higher gear when u need to some were fast(on hwy or long distance ) . My buggy has 4:90s with a 3.0 case and I run 3rd going trail to trail most of the time my buggy turns around 3500 rpms to run 30-35mph. I love it besides that u don't have to even think about the Tcase when u land at WOT IMO

The SCS we use is smaller than anything else and center rear output. Also have the ability to mate it straight to a Turbo 400 with no coupler or adapter. I'll post a pic when I get back to the shop. I usually keep one in stock.

SilverStarCustoms said:
The SCS we use is smaller than anything else and center rear output. Also have the ability to mate it straight to a Turbo 400 with no coupler or adapter. I'll post a pic when I get back to the shop. I usually keep one in stock.
Clyde I run a Th350 trans that might make a difference on coupler. The HERO may be the way to go for mounting back in place. Just don't like the price I'm cheap.

DUNCAN74 said:
Clyde I run a Th350 trans that might make a difference on coupler. The HERO may be the way to go for mounting back in place. Just don't like the price I'm cheap.
I'm an atlas fan they have treated me very good in the past but it has become pretty evident that the hero is holding up better under higher hp! I don't like the idea of not being able to disengage either end of have a high range. Say you happen to break a joint or driveshaft in the rear and instead of being able to just disconnect the rear and drive out in front wheel you have to stop and take the rear ds out of beat the **** out of everything under your buggy around the ds.

Adam I just want to be able to actually romp on it with out babying it all the time because the fear of transfer case failure. The hero has been getting the **** beat out of it and no issues so far. Yes I agree with the disengagement between the front and rear.

Here's the pics of the SCS compared to the Atlas. WARFARE is running a Turbo 350 with the SCS but I don't have a photo. It's the same case without the mounting lip this one has but runs a coupler between them. If it's for racing the SCS is a smaller package and less parts (No shifter parts etc). I don't think you can go wrong either way so it comes down to preference and budget. The SCS can easily change ratios with a new gear set.

SilverStarCustoms said:
Here's the pics of the SCS compared to the Atlas. WARFARE is running a Turbo 350 with the SCS but I don't have a photo. It's the same case without the mounting lip this one has but runs a coupler between them. If it's for racing the SCS is a smaller package and less parts (No shifter parts etc). I don't think you can go wrong either way so it comes down to preference and budget. The SCS can easily change ratios with a new gear set.

Thank you sir I have some thinking to do.

2je7m83.jpg

1h2d6h.jpg

The cyclone doesn't use a coupler neither it splines on to the output shaft

al1tonyota said:
I'm an atlas fan they have treated me very good in the past but it has become pretty evident that the hero is holding up better under higher hp! I don't like the idea of not being able to disengage either end of have a high range. Say you happen to break a joint or driveshaft in the rear and instead of being able to just disconnect the rear and drive out in front wheel you have to stop and take the rear ds out of beat the **** out of everything under your buggy around the ds.
I was worried about drive shaft and u joint failure also with a straight drive so I went with flanges and 1480 u joints booyang but my buggy don't have the HP to break parts :dunno:

I picked the 3 speed hero for several reasons. You can run in 2wd on the trails, around the property or down the road. Have low range for the technical crawling/trail rides, loading on the trailer and have no trans temp issues when crawling. Then the mid range is used on hill killing, racing or if I want to stay below 90mph :driving:

Damn for a dedicated trail rig/racer/hill killer it would be nice to run a 4L80 or 6L80 with one of those small SCS boxes.

Plenty of gear choices and zero worries about extra crap in the t case.

A 3 speed Hero would be nice too, especailly for a dual purpose rig (usually heavier) with a stock/stockish motor (where you need the extra low gears to crawl)

but then you have what I call "Toyota syndrome"... Too many damn gear choices to try and stay in the "sweet spot" of the engine power

At least a Toyota case is easy to shift. I've never had a t case with any sort of linkage that would shift as easy a Toyota case...