• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

stripp`d spark plug hole

redline

Had a friend hard on his luck :fawkdancesmiley:do a tune up 4 me. had a miss still after a couple trips , so i decide`d to check the plugs #3 is stripped, Came out really hard so my guess would be cross thread`d. So now thread chaser won`t fix. Now what? This is my tow /daily work rig. :mad::mad:

Had a friend hard on his luck :fawkdancesmiley:do a tune up 4 me. had a miss still after a couple trips , so i decide`d to check the plugs #3 is stripped, Came out really hard so my guess would be cross thread`d. So now thread chaser won`t fix. Now what? This is my tow /daily work rig. :mad::mad:

Heli-coil will do the trick. :mad: I hope it's not number 4 cyl, that makes life miserable. Good luck Robert.

Heli-coil will do the trick. :mad: I hope it's not number 4 cyl, that makes life miserable. Good luck Robert.

Reading comprehension isn't for everyone.. :haha:

Was the engine cooled down or hot when you pulled the plug? If it was hot I doubt it was cross threaded. A helicoil will work but time serts are a better long term repair for a spark plug.

engine cool, cast irion 350 vortec. Again #3. What is a time sert and how do they work ? I am not familar with these. Thank`s for the help guy`s

Was the engine cooled down or hot when you pulled the plug? If it was hot I doubt it was cross threaded. A helicoil will work but time serts are a better long term repair for a spark plug.

If you use anti-sieze like your supposed to hot/cold makes no difference to ease of removing a spark plug :awesomework:

I blame the heat for my incompetence.... :fawkdancesmiley:

Forgot you had the Vortec in there... I know that 22re's do very well with the spark plug heli-coils, but I would guess that it would be just as good on a chebby. I've heard that time certs work well too, never used them though.

He did do the anti seeze I can see the residue from it

If there is signs of anti-seize then my guess is that he didn't hand start it. Instead he probably used a ratchet to start and got it all fouled up.

I know it's a completely different motor, but i've had friends take their 22re's into a shop only to get cross threaded spark plugs in return, due to the awkward plug hole angle as compared to straight on plug holes. This is were I get my first hand experience with Heli-coils. :redneck:

I just fixed a stripped spark plug hole yesterday. NAPA had a 14mm repair kit for about $38. it comes with a tap and a couple different length threaded adapters. Is your spark plug 14mm? I still have 3 inserts in the kit, I would sell it for half price.

They make a rethreader that threads from the inside out. Comon repair for ford 4.6 & 5.4 they tend to blow the plugs out.

I`m O`k on those Thank`s for the offer. Once i "chill`d" from My Friend dodging any responsabilty,or offering to fix it. I was able to remove the bent heat sheild and get the thread chaser start`d. Thank`s For All the Help !