• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Stu's new ride

Putting along as time allows..

Got the spring plates done and bump stops mounted.

stu-61.jpg

Platform for the bump stop to land against. I got the idea from the last rig I did a bunch of work on--super simple.

stu-62.jpg

And the bump stop lands right in the center....

stu-63.jpg

Bilstiens--love hate relationship (love how they work hated to install them) until I started doing this to compress them to get them in.

stu-65.jpg

So I got the shocks installed and I also had to make new hardlines at the knuckles and frame since they were badly twisted up.

stu-66.jpg

stu-67.jpg

So the front is now sitting on rubber.

So I basically took some 5 square tube and made a riser for the bump stop to sit and welded it to the spring plate. I was originally going to lop off the upper mount at the frame and build a new one that was a little shorter. After looking at it and taking some measurements I am going to leave it and just see how much squish the bump stops have. Also as it sits its about 1.5" low in the rear and we will address that at a later date so for now we will see how this does.

stu-70.jpg

stu-71.jpg

stu-72.jpg

This has been sitting in a box for a while now--time to drag it out and of course tea bag the **** outa it,lol.

stu-73.jpg

Time to make a mess and create some sparks. After some measuring/thinking I came up with a game plan and something I have done a few times with a little change.

stu-74.jpg

stu-75.jpg

Air Horns??? Why is it every time I see them things it takes me straight to the Dukes theme honk??? :haha:

So since the core support was removed the body needs extra support from separating from my own experience and causing the radiator from being pulled apart. The new core support also serves another purpose and thats protecting the radiator from the wince.

So I made caps at the body where the core support was removed and then went to town. It turned out perfectly like I was hoping.

stu-78.jpg

stu-79.jpg

stu-80.jpg

So since the previous owner did individual spring buckets and not the typical cross member the front frame cross member requires some extra strength for the wince and also the cantilever force it creates being above the frame.

Like I have done in the past I simply made a plate for the face of the frame.

stu-81.jpg

And all welded into place.

stu-82.jpg

The new winch plate I made. The rear access holes for the wince will require the radiator being out of the way. One nice aspect of this is it won't easily be stolen.

stu-83.jpg

stu-84.jpg

And the test fit for the winch and haus so now its ready for paint.

stu-87.jpg

I know it can be done but I need to rotate the engage/disengage lever still so I got some research yet to do.