• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

suicide,how has it effect you?

RockHales

This is random as it gets,,I'm 45 years old and since high school I have had 12 friends and two family members off them selfs. Yes it is selfish to the rest of the family nor is it cool and a sin but I also feel as though I can understand and I don't hold it against them or anyone who chooses to do so. Yes,12 does seem like a high number to me too. So,how has it affected you or a family member.
there is a lot of persons who don't understand deep depression with PTSD so try not to judge them.

Re:

My brother committed suicide 4 years ago and left his 5 year old son because of his soon to be ex wife. Last year my uncle shot his two sons (they lived) his wife (died) and his self (died) with a shotgun. It's had a impact on me for shure. I deal with mental health people every day. A lot of time people will not get help and that's the problem. The stigmata that comes with having mental health problems. But it's very selfish to the loved ones that's left behind.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I had a friend that killed himself and also had an uncle that did. My friend was going through a divorce and my uncle had lost his wife to cancer. I would have never thought that either one would have done it. I also had a 2nd cousin that did.

Re:

My wife's uncle did himself in last year. We wasn't close but he was had been to my house a week or two before. At first it didn't bother me but a few days in and it affected me bad. I couldn't help but to think how bad he felt to get to that point. Really sad for everyone that he left behind. His bother (wife's dad) found him. He couldn't sleep for days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A good friend was found unresponsive one New Years morning. He had accidentally overdosed on painkillers & alcohol. He was recently fired from his job- probably from abusing prescription medication.

My ex-wifes 3rd husband (she was 16 when he was born) shot himself in the head in order to avoid a divorce. He had his demons. At 18, he was in a car accident where he was drunk & killed 2 teens.
Sadly, the bullet didn't do its job & he suffered for awhile. The worst part is my 17 year old daughter found him. Blood all upstairs & coming down the stairs. I can't imagine how she felt.

It affects a lot more people than the departed could imagine.

I deal with it at work from time to time. All I can figure is they're not especially worried about affecting other people. But I agree, personally knowing 14 people who did that seems incredibly high.

I had a buddy that did it after making it through the tornados in 11. House destroyed and his rental house messed up he text a bunch of family friends let us know he was ok then they found him dead a day later. His daughter was at her moms thankfully didn't find him. Freakin sucked he was a cool dude. Another guy did it in highschool hanged himself. Not sure why he was a few years older than me.

Re:

I have a psychology degree and refuse to toss too much into this conversation. I will add this though. Try not to go to bed at night angry with anyone. Try to make amends with anyone angry at you. It is very easy to look away when someone is struggling with life. Be a rock they can stand on, a tree the can lean on or damn well prop their ass up if you can. Of all the things in life, I have never regretted doing the best that I could to help the less fortunate, downtrodden, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped or my elders. I refuse to judge suicide, I've not walked in those shoes personally.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Worst funeral I have ever been to was my mentors son. He was a baptist pastor and killed himself. The family knows what was going on, but they haven't shared nor should they. No scandal or anything like that, he was a good man who fell into a dark place and believed a lie from satan. As far as sin and all that my views have changed over the years. Here is my go to verse: "For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."
??Romans? ?8:38-39 ESV

Dec.26 2016 one of my employees and a very close friend shot himself. He had been struggling with some depression and kept it to himself. Only near the end did he let a few people know the extent. I can't make myself delete those last few text messages from him the night he did it. The only thing I can add is please talk to someone if these thoughts pass your mind. Don't keep it to yourself, get help. He left two young children behind and he had far too much life left to live.

When I was in high school, one of my best friends shot himself in the chest, suffered in my lap nearly 20 minutes. All over a girl. Recently another lost his little girl, when they buried her he walked to the truck and shot himself. It's been difficult dealing with the pain of loosing booth through the years and never understood the reasoning behind suicide.

14 does seem like a lot.

After the last one I got a semicolon tattoo on my wrist for awareness. It's whitish, looks like a scar.

I had one of my brother in laws commit suicide nine years ago this week. My mother in law four years later. It still haunts me to this day....I just don't understand why? I know their Bipolar had a big part in it. But not having any mental heath issues myself, I just don't know what it's like to feel that bad that you think this is your only way out.
I did do some reading on it and the best explanation I've found is... It's like being trapped in a room in a high rise that's on fire. The fire keeps working it way towards you. You keep backing up until your trapped against the window and the only way out is to jump out the window or let the fire kill you....So you jump.
I guess if you look at it that way, it does sorta make sense of what they were going though.

I see it all the time. Know many friends and family that have been pushed to the limit. Hate to say it but I just block it out. I handle stress but traveling and fishing/hunting. And leaving work at work. I clock out and have zero to do with the medical field. That's how I deal with it.

Re:

Waffle said:
No offense, but calling it selfish, uncool and a sin shows how out of touch you are with the reasons and underlying problems with those that make that choice. More often than not there's a clinical level of severe depression that exists to consume the person with a level of despair that seems inescapable. Try to imagine the saddest point in your life. Now remember how you felt better over time. Problem is, those with severe depression feel this nearly all the time, or at least several times a week/month and it can last for what feels like an eternity. Getting help is an absolute joke. Most doctors treat you like the general public with the "just feel better" or "you'll be ok" attitude. General doctors do not care. At all! Some will even accuse of nefarious motives, like "you just want pills". There's a stigma to all of this that prevents most of those in need from getting the proper help and until that stigma is erased it will continue.

Basic/minimum medication with insurance can cost over $100 a month, plus the Psychiatric visits that cost $40 or more per visit, with insurance, and you'll need at least 1 visit per week for them to better understand the condition. If you don't have insurance forget it. If you cant take off that much time forget it. If there is a break in your treatment by switching doctors or insurance, forget it. Something as simple as Cymbalta medication used to treat minor depression costs $250 a month without insurance.

Getting help for clinical depression is one of the most difficult things in life to accomplish, "so I've heard".

lowbudgetjunk said:
I have a psychology degree and refuse to toss too much into this conversation. I will add this though. Try not to go to bed at night angry with anyone. Try to make amends with anyone angry at you. It is very easy to look away when someone is struggling with life. Be a rock they can stand on, a tree the can lean on or damn well prop their ass up if you can. Of all the things in life, I have never regretted doing the best that I could to help the less fortunate, downtrodden, mentally handicapped, physically handicapped or my elders. I refuse to judge suicide, I've not walked in those shoes personally.

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

Two solid posts.
I've lost a friend to suicide. A teenager who couldn't see himself fit in the world while growing up.

Re:

Lost a Great Uncle that did to cash in on life insurance policy because he could no longer give them the life he had raised them on and the idea of not being able to do that was too much. Apparently some insurance policies have a clause that if you have it long enough that suicide doesn't matter ( nobody better be checking their policy for the clause, y'all just keep it together and get some help please). Anyways he had it all planned it out and knew exactly how much they were getting and wrote a letter with instructions on how to use it all. I can't even fathom what had to be going through his head to write and plan that all out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

It's a selfish, ***** way out.

That being said, I have threatened it a few times. 99% of the time I do I'm saying, "I'm going to floor it and drive my side into a telephone pole, just so I don't have to hear your BITCHING anymore!!!"
:****:

Re: Re: suicide,how has it effect you?

5BrothersFabrication said:
It's a selfish, ***** way out.

That being said, I have threatened it a few times. 99% of the time I do I'm saying, "I'm going to floor it and drive my side into a telephone pole, just so I don't have to hear your BITCHING anymore!!!"
:****:
You really need to quit letting Tony ride shotgun with you dude!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I used to say "****'em, if they want to quit then fine." That was my experience from friends who just up and killed themselves one day.

Then a few years ago, a really good friend of mine took his life. The circumstances were odd. His wife had kicked him out because of the most insane reason while he was serving overseas. He was now divorced and living with a girlfriend who was scum. She called the cops and said he was threatening her (because she was trying to steal), and so they showed up fully armed. He was alone in his house, and asking for the Sheriff, a good buddy who had served with him overseas for almost a decade. They didn't try to contact the sheriff, they just decided to try and go in. Well he must have hit the end of his tolerance limit, and finished the job for them. It could have been so easily prevented, but it seemed so many people were like me and just didn't give a ****. Breaks my heart just typing this. The guy was a solid quality man, and I couldn't wait for my boys to grow up with him as a friend of the family.

Now, my tone has changed. I realized everyone has their limit, they reach it at some point and just can't go on. I wish my FIL, myself, or the Sheriff could have been there for our friend, but we weren't. I won't make that mistake again. If I feel someone is running a tough road I drop everything to help. I've got friends that joke/gripe about being depressed and I don't take it lightly.

So yeah, it's definitely affected me. As it does everyone.

Waffle said:
No offense, but calling it selfish, uncool and a sin shows how out of touch you are with the reasons and underlying problems with those that make that choice.
i applaud your attempt but you're so wrong,and it's cool to be wrong we all are at times. Reason I know you're wrong is those reasons are why I'm setting here typing you a reply :flipoff1: