• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Super 8.8 question

Weezul

I've been running this kit awhile and have a leak on the passenger side. It appears to be where the seal and axle shaft make contact. I've tried 2 different seals and checked the shaft for any wear in that area and it's fine. I'm not sure why this would leak. The driver side has never leaked. Is there anything I can put between the shaft and the seal to help it seal?

I'm 100% sure the shaft isn't bent and 99% the housing isn't bent. It never leaked in stock form. My breather tube is on the driver side tube. Could that cause it to force oil past the seal on the passenger side? Once it warms up some I'll pull the tire and brakes off and look at it closer to try to pinpoint the leak. Just tired of slinging oil everywhere and leaving a puddle of gear oil.

Have you made sure the breather isnt clogged?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

ranger11 said:
Have you made sure the breather isnt clogged?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
That was my next guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've had 8.8 shaft bend at the flange but not the shaft. Causes the tire to wobble but the bearings to carrier will still be true. It will cause a vibration and that could possibly = seal leaking.

RustyC said:
I've had 8.8 shaft bend at the flange but not the shaft. Causes the tire to wobble but the bearings to carrier will still be true. It will cause a vibration and that could possibly = seal leaking.

I had that happen on the factory shafts. That's part of why I did the Super 88. Gets rid of the c-clips and provides much stronger shafts especially at the flange. And I'm 100% sure the shaft isn't bent in any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeeptj99 said:
Is your little collar bent? Or where the bearing comes apart maybe?

Not sure, I need to tear into it to see but I leave town tomorrow for the weekend. Looks like I'll be able to get to it Monday or Tuesday after work though. I'll update then if I find anything.

I'm not to familiar with the super 8.8 ,ive gear swapped the 4.0 8.8 ,but have u recently pressed the bearings off the shaft ? I no that Toyota shafts when pressed off the collar would distort and leak, now I buy new collars anytime I do bearings just a thought

Trussed? Tubes welded to center section?

Weezul said:
I always put a new collar, bearing, and seal on when I replace them.

I've only had mine apart once since i put it in. If I remember correctly it's the same as a 9" bearing.

EddieHall said:
I'm not to familiar with the super 8.8 ,ive gear swapped the 4.0 8.8 ,but have u recently pressed the bearings off the shaft ? I no that Toyota shafts when pressed off the collar would distort and leak, now I buy new collars anytime I do bearings just a thought

It's not possible to get the bearings off and reuse them. If he somehow did, I bet i know why it leaks cause that whole surface is going to be ****ED

Zjman said:
Trussed? Tubes welded to center section?

Not trussed but the tubes are welded to the center section.

It's the same bearing as a 9" (Set 20). I carefully cut off the old bearing and collar and replace with new.