• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Super 8.8 question

Random thought, I cut one off of a 9" and barely I mean barely got the seal surface and it leaked. Ended up having to put a little weld and carefully file it back smooth with the rest of the axle. Didnt leak after that but just a thought.

Got the rear on some jack stands and got the tire off, brakes off, and the well oil saturated e-brake shoes off. Got it all cleaned up and let it run in drive a few minutes to get the gear oil moving. No apparent wobble in the axle shaft so I don't think the shaft is bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well it sat for 24 hours on jack stands and it's completely dry. No oil whatsoever. Checked the breather tube and it is clear and so is the nipple on the axle tube. I lowered the jack stand on the passenger side after running it some more so that the oil is going toward that side. Gonna check it before bed and see.

Well, that's where it is leaking from. If it was overfilled I'm guessing it just leaked from there. Since it isn't a DD it sits most of the time so it never had a chance to blow oil out of the breather. Not sure why it wouldn't leak on both sides though. But I've replaced this bearing/seal 2 times on this shaft and put in my spare shaft that had a brand new bearing/seal on and it leaked too. Maybe I just have a leaky 8.8...anyways. Cleaned the oil in the attached pic off and sat it back level and will look at it in the morning.

45751167e6caf736b386e4dc40ca5192.jpg