• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

superduty 6.0 smoking?

so I just hooked my truck up to my buddies scanner and didn't get any codes which is what I expected. I did get 3 inspection/maintenance monitors:
Misfire - Misfire Monitor
Comp- Comprehensive components monitor
EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation

Not sure what to take from that, but it also did not smoke during the test and nothing happend for my short drive around the block? Might have to sit for a couple of weeks till I can afford to take it o the dealer. thanks for all of the ideas.

It only takes 5min to pop out the EGR valve. Take a look and see how plugged up it is. It's pretty common for them to get all gummed up and stick open.

You can tell a lot by what it looks like in the intake.

It only takes 5min to pop out the EGR valve. Take a look and see how plugged up it is. It's pretty common for them to get all gummed up and stick open.

You can tell a lot by what it looks like in the intake.

When you pop out the valve if the soot in the intake is wet you have a leaking egr cooler if it's dry then the cooler is ok for now. As far as the scanner goes some of them don't have the ability to read the can communication codes. It might be worthwhile for you if you plan on keeping the truck to get the autoenginuity with the ford bundle. You can do just about everything with it the stealership does with theirs.

Just remove the EGR valve and looks like the cooler is leaking. All of the soot was more like sludge than soot and nice and moist. So now it's time to clean up the garage so I can get in there and start tearing it apart. Thanks for all the pointers.

Any ideas why there would be oil in the inlet and outlet piping for the turbo? Started taking this thing apart and noticed oil in both tubes and guessing it's not supposed to be there??

Any ideas why there would be oil in the inlet and outlet piping for the turbo? Started taking this thing apart and noticed oil in both tubes and guessing it's not supposed to be there??

I see it on duraturds and a couple 6.0's that I have hard apart.. If there is just a coating I would not worry--if there was any puddling then I would be concerned...

PCV Valve, the factory thought it would be a great idea to route in into the intake tube. Make a reroute for it and no more oil in either tube.

Yep, the crankcase builds too much psi, and the result is oil being pushed into the intake thru the breather....7.3L's also have this issue...

Thanks. I'll do some searching on that and see what I find. I'm learning more and more about this thiang as I go.:rolleyes: