• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Superduty door handles/ thieves

jangel

So for the 4th time since I've owned my truck I was broken into using the old screwdriver in the lock method. :mad:

I did the Jimmie Jammers after the first break in and well that was a nice try, but didn't stop them.

I don't have an alarm and not sure that would help since the truck sits in front of my house, but thats the only thing I can think of since I don't believe that anybody has come up with a good fix.

Anybody know of any other fixes?

Any suggestions on a good alarm/installer?

Been there, done that. Full alarm with remote start now.

Jimmy jammers work on the slim jim attacks, but not the weak plastic door handle. I've heard of guys installing hose clamps around the plastic retainer that holds the lock cylinder. Keeps them from twisting the lock cylinder out.

You can also install rear door handles on the front. This removes the door cylinder completely. But you better have a backup plan to get in if your battery dies, or your electric locks stop working.

Streetrod guys with shaved handles usually put a couple of battery posts under the car that they can touch a 9v battery too, and there is just enough power to pop the door locks.

*usually*, if they break into a superduty, its to steal it. If your just getting petty car prowls, then you must have something out in the open that makes them want to break in.

Last edited:
I generally don't leave anything in the truck because of past breakins. They got a couple of cd's and an old sirius remote. Probably $40 worth of crap.:rolleyes:

I generally don't leave anything in the truck because of past breakins. They got a couple of cd's and an old sirius remote. Probably $40 worth of crap.:rolleyes:

In which case leave the truck unlocked. You crap is worth less than your repairs, right?

In which case leave the truck unlocked. You crap is worth less than your repairs, right?

Thieves ain't that smart. I recall a story about a guy trying to steal a convertible. He carefully cut the seam so it could be fixed easier. They caught him crying beside the car. Turns out, it was unlocked the entire time!

But still, there must be some reason for them breaking in. Are you sure it isn't someone who has it in for you?

There's some truth to this. When my wife and I were dating we went camping at a lake somewhere east of Lake Quinault, way way out a dirt road. As we were leaving the truck at the trailhead I started to lock the doors, she stopped me and said there's nothing worth taking in the truck, I'd rather someone just opened the door instead of breaking a window. After a nice night out in the back country we came back to her truck. The car next to it had been pillaged, windows busted out, obviously ransacked. Her truck was unscathed.:awesomework:

Not much you can do on a SD. Even if you solve the weak lock cylinder mounting issue. There is still the fact that both mounting studs for the whole handle are pressed into plastic. A large screwdriver will pop the whole assembly out in seconds.

Yup you are screwed unless you get an alarm. Mine has now been broken into and or ransacked 4 times since moving in our house, the last time my doors were unlocked and they rummaged grabbing a couple dollars in change and then moved on. I've got a full alarm sitting in my house just haven't had time to install.

May be some economy in moving to a better neighborhood.

I've told people for years if you want to hike and stay overnite or a couple of days get yourself a "trailhead" car. Something that is not worth anything and never lock it.

It's been broke into a work, gym, and now at home so neighborhood isn't the problem. I'll be going out this weekend to look at alarms.

A guy who worked for me in the '80s had a convertible. The thieves would cut the top to steal stuff out of the interior even though he intentionally left the doors unlocked. They assholes didn't even try the doors.

I got blanks for mine, the rear door ones and pulled all the lock crap out only way to get in is by remote, you can leave the rod in there if you want, so if you ever do need to get in,just break your handle and your in, I took both mine out wich I will regret one day if both my battery's ever take a **** at the same time.

I got blanks for mine, the rear door ones and pulled all the lock crap out only way to get in is by remote, you can leave the rod in there if you want, so if you ever do need to get in,just break your handle and your in, I took both mine out wich I will regret one day if both my battery's ever take a **** at the same time.

all you need is a power and ground wire to repower, like an xb terminal for a wench or something like that. that way you can still get power to your battery in the case they go completely dead.

You dont have to break anything. I've locked myself out several times, and used a coat hanger between the door handle and the paint. Hook and pull. If your not in a hurry, you wont even scratch the paint.